1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another Bass DI thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by father of fires, Nov 23, 2012.

1. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

This is a popular topic of discussion and for good reason.

Personally I am looking for a DI that has 6 specific trates:

9 volt and can use batteries;
    EQ;
    Cab Sim;
    Balanced Output;
    Not a Sansamp;
    And does not require any mods to meet my functionality requirements.

So...any ideas.

2. father of fires

To be honest Sansamp's OK. I just added them to the list to get fresh ideas.

The Bass Driver sounds great with my bass and a few pedals but it doesn't gel with my Bluebeard which makes it partially useless. I played a Sansamp Classic which sounded good but it doesn't meet all of my requirements.

So far I've thought about getting a GT2 and a Whirlwind passive DI but that's a lot of realestate for something I won't use that often (only need it when forced to go DI or when the soundman asks nicely).

3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Aguilar Tone Hammer is a fantastic pedal. It meets your criteria besides the 'cab sim'.

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

The Aguilar web site has plenty of sound samples as well!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

And also that it's an 18V pedal. But it can be run on batteries.

I've been running a Tone Hammer for a while now and love it. Great EQ, the AGS circuit is a nice bonus but is a little aggressive for my taste, sounds great going straight to board.

I don't know many preamp/DI's other than Sansamp that have cab sim to them. Have you thought about any of the multi's? I haven't played a Zoom B3, but it's got amp & cab models, same with some of the Line6 stuff.

5sg.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

I've had the best luck with simple, passive DI boxes.

8. father of fires

The last multi I used was a Zoom 506. I imagine they are quite improved these days.

9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

My first effects box was a Zoom 506... Looking back, it really wasn't a good pedal. Lol Multi's have come a LONNNGGG way since then. Hehehe

I've heard some good things about the Zoom B3, and have been following these threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-first-look-835255/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-multi-effects-926127/

I've thought about picking one up to give it a try as a travel and "leave it at the practice space" board, but I've never been a cab sim kinda guy. Still, I'm intrigued. Seems like a good little unit for the price.

I've also thought about a Line6 M9. I played a recent gig with my gospel band on a cruise ship, and the other band with us was Pieces Of A Dream...Scott Ambush (of Spyro Gyra) was subbing with them and he uses an M9 as his main board. It sounded really good, but I'm not sure it'd be quite what you're looking for... I don't think it has amp/cab sims, just pedal sims.

5sg.

10. father of fires

I just found out that the Tone Hammer AGS circuit has sort of a cab sim eq to it so that's worth looking at.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

EBS MicroBass II, FTW!
    It meets every one of your criteria, and then some.
    It also has two footswitchable/combinable channels, adjustable overdrive, FX loop and a headphone out, and can be powered by either a 9-volt battery or phantom power. These normally sell new for $400, but I scored one in mint condition for $200 right here in the classifieds.
    In my 30 years of playing it is with out a doubt the best pedal I've ever owned. :bassist:

12. father of fires

It looks cool but I don't think it has a cab sim.

Have you run it direct with any fuzz pedals?

13. superdick2112

It absolutely has a cab sim - click the link & look at the pic - the cab sim defeat switch is the 1st button on the upper left side of the unit.
    I have used it with fuzz, but only at home - I don't currently use fuzz for anything we play live. It sounds fantastic with every effect I've tried so far, and it records wonderfully.
    On the last demo my band recorded, the only 2 pieces of gear I used were my USA Spector NS-4 running through the EBS Microbass, and the bass track sounds crisp, tight, punchy and thunderous...

http://www.bass.se/2009/microbassII.htm

14. father of fires

Thanks. There's so many buttons I completely missed it.

15. father of fires

And the Speaker Sim is on the DI out only. Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner!!!

16. superdick2112

Musicians Friend stocks them - you could try it out for a week, & get a full refund if you didn't like it...

But I think you will love it! :bassist:

17. hoketus

hoketus

+1... not much this box can't do.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Microbass II is a bizarre box at first with its strange EQ system, but it does everything you want and is a lot more versatile than you'd think at first. I sold mine because I wasn't all that enthused about the DI, plus I switched to a VT Deluxe for a while and the Microbass was moot at that point. But the EQ was quite cool and I really loved the distortion on it. Quite heavy and nasty.

19. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The MXR M-80 meets the requirements--if you consider it's "color" button to be a cab sim. I do. Plus it's got a full-on distortion effect, too.