1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another Bass VI in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ThaLowEndTheory, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Well this should've been finished over a year ago. Builder took forever to complete the project. Well it's in my grubby little hands now and on it's way to completion. I got off to a good start, but was sidelined by the flu. I've kinda worked on it a little here and there. Being that I was sick I of course forgot to take progress pics. The overall plan has been to spray a burst, then spray another color on top of that. I was originally going to go with Firemist silver, but I think I've settled on a creamy white. I managed to get the burst sprayed and the neck dyed and tru oiled. At this point I've assemebled the parts so i can reconsider the color. I'm still pretty set on the white, well actually Reranch gorilla vanilla, but I figured I'd throw the parts together so I can look at it a little as burst. I've gotta few things to fix as well. I need to cut a new pickguard, the pickup cut outs on the one that came with it are a little too big. The builder sent along a blank just for that purpose. I'm also waiting on a control plate, so I cut one out of a mirrored pickguard blank. Also waiting on some jag pickup covers and some brass to make the ground plates. I also threw on some block decals just to see how they'd look. I'm going to stick with the binding and dots. In the meantime, here's some progress and mock up pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

3. TonH

TonH

It think it looks great in sunburst! Well done!

And a beautiful neck!
  4. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Very cool. Subbed.
  5. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Thanks guys, I got some more parts in this week. Got some brass sheets in to make the shielding plates and some jag pickup covers. I decided to take some final pics of it as a burst with some my other bursts I've sprayed. I also took off the block decals. I definitely like the binding and dots better. I plan to replace the dots with some clay dots as well. The VI is definitely bigger than I expected. The pics give you some reference in comparison to my jazz and p bass. I plan to break it down this weekend and get it ready for Gorilla Vanilla. Hopefully I can get it sprayed by Monday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Very sweet looking! But I'm wondering, is there a sunburst/tortoise club? If there is, count me in!
  7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Yes please, for instruments like these burst/shell is the way to go. :D

Will there be soundclips of this? Please let there be soundclips of this. :D
  8. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Recorded a couple of tracks on my iphone. They are played thru my little Fender Bdec amp, so nothing fancy here. The bass tracks have been removed so the crappy bass playing you here is me on the VI. The VI has basically just been assembled, wired, and strung up. I haven't bothered to set it up at all and the intonation hasn't been adjusted since it will be broken back down soon. Track one was played with a pick and track 2 played with my fingers. Both rather sloppily I might add. I've been playing more golf than bass the last year, but it does give you an idea of the sounds coming from this thing. :p

https://soundcloud.com/thalowendtheory/bass-vi-track-1
    https://soundcloud.com/thalowendtheory/bass-vi-track-2
  9. Beej

Beej

Why a colour over the burst? Not challenging, just trying to make sense of it...
  10. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Just for the hell of it. I've always like the look of an old relic where you can see little bits of the burst peeking through the chips and wear spots. Not planning on doing any relic work to this one, but I hope to have it long enough that I get that effect. I spray nitro finishes all the time so it's not a big task for me. Kind of a "just cause I can" thing.
  11. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Well she's done, well mostly. I have to get some pg screws and find out where I put the string tree. I got sidetracked on another project, but finally got the VI repainted, polished, and reassembled. The color is Reranch Gorilla Vanilla. I was tempted to do a matching headstock, but I'm gonna leave it as is for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    I really like the vanilla color! Now I wish I'd done that color for my VI.