Another "Best Bang for Buck" Thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Skygoneblue, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Hello gents!

I'm just recently getting back into the bass world, and I have about $500-600 to spend on an amp. I'll mostly be playing at home to practice (so portability it great), but I'm also playing with a startup, casual band that aspires to hit up some local bars and clubs to do smaller shows (so power will be great too). Also, if it's of any importance, I am playing a 6-string, so the amp will need to be able to handle a low B.

With that in mind, could anyone give me some good ideas for amps to look at? I have been all over the place looking at Ampeg Portabass, Peavey TNT, Line 6 LD, combos, heads, cabs, 2x10s, 1x15s, and I've come to the realization that I don't really know what I NEED.

Any advice is whole-heartedly appreciated!
  2. Russell L

Russell L

You'll probably have to settle the issue of tube vs. solid state vs. hybrid before anyone here will give you a straight answer. Also, the issue of combo vs. modular.

If you want an amp AND speaker for your price, maybe a GK combo would work?
  3. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

4. zsahadak

zsahadak

Now I am in no way an authority, but I just upgraded from an GK MB115 to a TC Electronic rig consisting of a BH250 and RS112. The RS112 is on hello music right now for $300 and you should be able to get a BH250 on ebay for around $250. I am really happy with it, great portability and I like the tone more than the GK, but that's personal preference. The 1X12 cabinet is like half the form factor of the 1X15 combo.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hsech

hsech I can feel the love....... Gold Supporting Member

Carvin makes a micro bass amp that is 250 watts. They come in 1x10, 2x10, 1x12x6 and 1x15 configurations all with the same 250 watt amp. They all click in ranging from $300 to $450. They are all portable, light weight, have a DI Out, active/passive settings, sweepable midrange and other goodies. I have two MB10 combos (1x10). One I use for home practice or intimate club gigs. I also use it with my fretless semi acoustic where I don't need thunderous volume. My son uses the other MB10 for his electronic drums. You can get them either directly from the Carvin website or the Carvin EBay store. Not many used ones around. I think folks hang on to them. The MB10 only weighs 26 lbs.
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

G-K combos should be looked at, thinking more the MB210 or MB212. Used amp head and cab would be a good way to go as well. 300-500 watts, 210, 212, 115, 215 or 310 cab.
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A 112 isn't going to cut it.

Shop used, go with a 410 and an amp that is 300-500 watts.
  9. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Tube/Solid - Don't really care, but seeing as I'm on a budget, tubes are probably out of the question.

Combo/Head-Cab - Again, don't care. Just want the best amount of wattage, portability, and good sound that I can for $500-600.

Quite a replies for GK so far. I'll go check them out! :)
  10. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I'd vote for a Carvin too. I'd suggest one of the combos with the bx500 though, as even if you don't need the extra power now, you'll appreciate having it later. Maybe even go with a bx500 and a 210 since you'll be able to add later...

BX500-210
  11. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

I like the 2x10 and 2x12 combos... They're the same price though! Wouldn't the 2x12 technically seem louder due to the larger speaker size?
  12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    No, it would actually be louder.
  13. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Not a bad price for the power - thanks for the suggestion!
  14. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

I'm waiting for some purist to come along and say how the 10s would be microscopically more responsive and punchy sounding.
  15. B-string

Yes the 212 will be louder not only because of speaker size but also 500 watts instead of 350 for the MB210 (you can add an 8 ohm extension cab to the MB210 though for 500 watt output, MB212 you can not). If the MB212 is the same price it is more than likely old stock series one (no chain out for powered extension cabs).
  16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    If they did it would be a load of bullsh!t. Driver size has nothing to to with response of the speaker. It's about the design of the speaker and cab around it.
  17. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

I looked too quickly - the 2x12 is $100 more, which makes more sense.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp-H73083-i1869751.gc

Little outside of the price range, but not bad if I catch it during a sale.
  18. B-string

The V-Day sale will get you $150 off right now by phone ;)
  19. jongor

jongor

I would recommend a G-K MB200 and a 4ohm Avatar SB112.

I used an 8ohm version last week at a gig and was amazed at how good it sounded AND how loud it was.

I use an octave pedal on a few songs and the cab handled it with no problem
  20. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Yea, now if the feds would get off their asses and get my tax return back to me... :D
  21. B-string

They like to be S L O W :D www.rmcaudiodirect.com is almost as good with VIP pricing and you might do even better by requesting a quote? :)