1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another best combo thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It will take me all day to search for suggestions regarding my specifics, so I thought it would be easier to start another one of these threads.

What I'm looking for is the smallest, lightest, loudest combo I can find for under $350. 10" or 12" speaker, preferably 10".

Will be using it for acoustic gigs, with a Fender Passport PA (yes, I realize I can plug directly into there, but don't want to). I realize I can also plug my BX500 into a small bottom, but I want to travel as lightly, and with as few pieces of equipment as possible. Would like something loud enough to keep up with a couple of amplified acoustics, vocal harmonies, and possibly even some percussion.

Point me in the proper direction TBer. Thanks. :)
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd probably take a look at the GK MB combos. They've got an MB110 and an MB112.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I just picked up a used Ampeg BA500 in mint condition for $350.

GK makes some great combos as well.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Another vote for the G-K MB-II series bass combos.
  5. bmc

bmc

I bought a Roland CB100 as a cheap practice amp about five years ago. Since then, I've used itin small clubs with a guitarist and drummer. These days, I have used it for my weekly acoustic gig. It's a versatile little amp, 100 watts and a 12". Im sure you can find them cheap second hand.

I never consider Roland for bass amps. But, they have well established themselves with keyboards, pedals (Boss) and the JC120 guitar amp. The CB100 is overbuilt. Truckliner covering, robust corners. I've used it as a practice PA, plugging in a four channel mixer and using the onboard reverb. It's been used by a guitarist for a gig, selecting the Fender Bassman modeling, adding a touch of reverb, maxing the gain and controlling the master volume. Sounded like an old Fender tube amp.

It's an impressively versatile piece of kit.
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

7. vince a

vince a

+1
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

9. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

I like GK and Carvin. It does seem that the newer Carvins are no longer neo speakers. This is a very recent change so they may still have the older lighter combos in stock.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Fender Bronco 40 would be a perfect fit for you.
  11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I put this together back a few months ago so it may need some updating but it should still be it the ballpark ~

Out of the three popular high powered 10" bass combos the GK MB110 is the lightest in weigh and the smallest in size - also there is no money wasted on unnecessary junk like built in effects, etc.

Gallien-Krueger MB110 - $299.99
    Size: 14.5”H x 12.5”W x 11.5”D
    Weight: 21lbs
    Power: 100W

Ibanez Promethean P3110 - $349.99
    Size: 14.4H x 17.7W x 21.7D
    Weight: 37.4lb
    Power: 300W

Carvin MB10 - $269 + $25 shipping = $294.00
    Size: 18.5”H x 12.75"W x 11.5"D
    Weight: 26.1 lbs
    Power: 200W

And the little 2x8" too ~
    TC Electronic BG250-208 - $499.99
    Size: 18.3”H x 12.6”W x 11.5”D
    Weight: 25.9 lbs.
    Power: 250W

NOTE: The Carvin MB10 is a sealed cab.
  12. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Not going to get into details, but I've owned a lot of GK amps and heads. Still do in fact (a Backline 600 and neo 212). Bought a couple of MB combos and they went back after 1 rehearsal. Not a fan of them at all.

Carvin is a big consideration right now as I love the bx500. Want to see what's else is available though before making any purchases. Does Peavey have a microbass line? I'm quite fond of their bang for the buck, but not looking to lug anything heavy. And I've yet to know a peavey that wasn't heavy.
  13. 5port

5port

I would stay away from the new Peavey combos as they suffer from a weak front baffle:

[​IMG]
  14. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the input guys, did some searching and thinking on my own and may have landed myself into some trouble :). I own a Roland Microcube, and absolutely love it, so I thought I'd check out what else they've got. Came across this:

[​IMG]

It's a Roland 60XL. It's $100 more than I wanted to spend, but if it's anything like it's baby brother, it's going to sound awesome. I kinda like the bells and whistles too, especially for an acoustic gig. My only concern is volume. The only way I know how to find out how loud an amp is, is to bring it into a band situation. I've played 60 watt amps that were louder than some 200 watt amps. Been playin a long time, but still baffled by amplification. Anyhow... not pulling the trigger on anything just yet, but wanted to throw this into the mix to see if anyone had any thoughts and/or experiences with it.
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, FWIW: my G-K MB110 is smaller in size, weighs less than half as much, cost $150 less, and will kick its !*#^ too.
  16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

TC Electronic BG250

I believe they're in the $350-$400 range
  17. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    I very seriously doubt that, and wish there were a way we could put it to a test. I never heard either amp, but form my experience with both companies I'd be willing to bet everything I own that A/B'ed, the Roland would put out much louder, and much better tone. And wouldn't start to fart and rattle as quickly as I know the GK would.

PS. Not looking to argue. Just to set things straight. :)
  18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, I'd be willing to wager a few bucks - I wish we lived near each other so we could do the shootout together. BTW, I like Roland and I have the KC550 amp for my keyboards. Anyway, good luck and best wishes with your small combo bass amp hunt.
  19. junostudio

junostudio

I love my SWR Working Pro 2x10 Combo. It isn't as light as some of the previously mentioned combos, but it does produce great tone and bottom end. It also can tilt back and has a one rack space below the head for a rack tuner, preamp, or whatever you desire.

I got mine new for a steal on eBay, $230 (but maybe I'm just lucky).
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

PS: I've used my Crate TX30 (8", 30W) battery powered guitar amp with my Fender BG31 acoustic/electric bass to jam with acoustic guitar players at the beach, in parks, and whatnot many, many times and its more than loud enough - so the 60XL should be plenty loud enough to keep up with a few unplugged acoustic guitar players.