1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another Bi-amping thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ivokbg, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ivokbg

ivokbg

Hi all!

Since I was a guitar player before I went for the bass I kinda like more midrangey biting tone with fair amount of dirt in it. I can do that with the MXR M80 which I have and love but I've always wanted to experiment in the bi-amping area especially after I watched the Rob Trujillo video for Dunlop where he says bi-amping is definately going to pay off.

Also my band plays metal but we have only one guitarist so there is plenty of "space" for me to fill especially during solos.

I have SVT 3 Pro and a Hartke 210TP cabinet which obviously will be "channel A". I have another Hartke 210TP on the way which will be the "B rig". I will use it with Orange Dark Terror head.

Some of you would say there's no way I can pull that off with a 15W guitar head and maybe you're right. I haven' tried in rehearsal room but at home I can get very very loud with the Orange and Hartke. So I don't think it will be a problem volume wise. After all the main wattage consumer are the low frequencies but when playing a swamp ash bass with stainless steel strings through a guitar amp I don't expect to have a lot of those. And after all heavy bass would not be the purpose of this second "guitar rig".

My question is how should I go for live situation since this weekend we're entering studio to record live session which should be something like a demo record and I don't really have enough time to "invent the wheel" again.

Should I mic both cabs or just mic the cab with the guitar amp and go with the DI on the SVT?

What kind of mics should I get? /I only have EV Co4 which is basically a SM57 copy and a EV CO9 for my backing vocals/

Will there be a problem with phase cancellation if I go with a mic and the DI? How can I fix this in live situation? /clearly how can I do this in a studio but.../

Thank you for all the answers!

P.S. Sorry if I'm not using the term "bi-amping" right. Please refer it as using two separate amps with AB splitter WITHOUT crossover.