1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another Carbon Fiber rod in neck question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by David Potts, Dec 3, 2013.

1. David Potts

David Potts

I have an old French bass to restore. It is probably a 100 year old trade bass but is well made and certainly worth the effort.

This bass has had its neck broken across about 6 inches below the nut. I would guess the local carpenter out in the bush glued up the break then drove nails through the neck and fingerboard to hold it all together. The fingerboard is not ebony but probably a hard wood like rosewood.

I am seriously wondering whether the following remedy would work or is the only solution a neck graft?

The string length is about 43" and could be comfortably shortened by a little more than an inch. If I were to create a finger joint then embed a carbon fiber rod before installing a new ebony fingerboard would this repair hold?

One of you luthiers has probably see a similar instrument, swell-backed and gamba shaped with purfling set well inside the edges, and carved raised edges (like beading used around drawers in antique furniture). The varnish is pale yellow/amber and the timbers are fairly plain. No label so far. There is the remains of an old Carl Fischer-type fingering chart stuck to the fingerboard!!

Cheers,
    David Potts