1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another DI question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by scottman72, Dec 9, 2013.

1. scottman72

scottman72

Up until recently I have always run my DI from the back of whatever bass amp/preamp I was using at the time. I recently picked up a BBE Bmax preamp and have been running out of the DI on it for the last few gigs, and I have to say it's probably the worst FOH sound I have had so far. I've been reading on here about everyone running a DI box before their stage rig to the board.......my question with that is why am I spending hundreds getting my stage rig to sound good if I'm just going to bypass it with a DI right to the board? I like to use compression/overdrive/chorus occasionally, but all that is lost going direct before the stage rig correct? Someone set me straight here please!
  2. Amren

Amren

Put the DI after your pedal board.

But all the effects that you run on your amp won't be going towards the foh. A speaker di box wil be between your amp and cab, maybe thats worth looking into. Palmer makes a couple of them. Radial aswell.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mic the cab if you aren't too extreme with your basic tone. I use an akg p2, cheap as, very flat response all the way down.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Put a good DI box directly after the bass guitar and mic the cab for the effects.
  5. M0ses

M0ses

For starters, the Bmax is pretty useless.
  6. scottman72

scottman72

Love the honesty guys! That's why I come here.

I like the idea of one direct signal after the bass and one signal from the miked cabinet, that seems like a good blend of both. Having said that, is there a DI box and a bass mic that you guys prefer? Also......I try my best to keep everything possible in my rack so I'm not setting up pedal boards and running cables everywhere. I'm already "in charge" of running the light effects from a pedal board so I don't have the extra floor room.

Thanks for the advise
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Blending mic and DI is no picnic. You need serious PA gear and a serious operator to get out of phase cancellation hell.

For mic see post #3, for 100 bucks you can't go wrong.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Countryman and Radial make good DI boxes, and there are a lot of good mic's that can be used for bass cabs - IE: MD421, RE20, NT3, M88, etc.
  9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, EMG and D'Addario
    I use an Audix D6 in conjunction with my JDi or J48 (depends on the sound guy) and it kills!