Another EMG thread: J/CS 45 VS JX/CSX 45

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Veldar, Mar 4, 2014.

?

EMG J/CS or JX/CSX for mid punch and low end?

1. The X series, duh!

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Straight J/CS.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. J/CS with the 18 volt mod.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Veldar

Veldar

Hey guys,

I've been getting so carried away with pedals in the last year of playing I forgot the most important part of my tone, pickups. The set of MECs I currently have in my Warwick sound thin and harsh and I was hoping to get some help on this decision.

Right now I use the neck only because the bridge sounds thin and horrible (to me) but I want to change that to a even blend. I'm after a mid punch from the neck and some lows (like a music man) in the bridge, I mostly play with my fingers and my thumb resting on the neck pickup and I play pretty darn hard.

I'm in a metal band and I need a strong punch with low end, Right now I have the punch but you can really hear my fingers hitting the strings quite audibly and with distortion on it's a nightmare (Even after tweaking).

Any guidance would be great as I'm on my way to put a lay-by one tomorrow afternoon.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I dont know how much advice I can give in the "right" kind of pups for you, but I def know what you're talking about as far as getting lost in pedals. I guess though, I'm pretty happy with my main player and rig so its a luxury I can afford. I use EMG-PAX's in my P and they are really great. Plenty-O-Punch for sure. I would imagine that the P/J set would be fantastic for clarity, bottom and punch. I have a set of EMG Geezers on the way too whenever the supplier I ordered from gets them in, cant wait for these :) Wish I could help more man.
  3. dropbass

dropbass

I put the basic emg set in my thumb. So much better.. used the left over mecs in a fretless build and still cant stand them....
    Also just threw a Duncan quarter pounder in my precision. ( Passive) Holy ballzz.!!! . for the money id go with that p j set they make...
  4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Check out the JA / JAX sets as well
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The X series sounds similar to the regular series, except the X's have a much brighter high end and a somewhat lower low end. I prefer the regular series, while some prefer the X's. As for battery, I use nothing but 9v in mine and don't really notice any difference any time I've tried 18v. They say it increases headroom and keeps it from compressing on the outer reaches of playing it very hard, but I almost never play hard enough to where it matters to me, plus it's very hard to hear it when I do. That said, others do swear by 18v.
  7. Veldar

Veldar

I should mention that I'm after Jeff Caxide(Oceanic), Flea(One hot minute), Tim Commerford(First and last albums), At the drive in(Relationship of command) and Nick Jost(He just joined Baroness, has a 5 string jazz bass) types of tones hence the J and CS choice.
  8. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I'd say just figure out a way to get a Stingray then.
  9. Veldar

Veldar

Man I woulud but I can barly afford these pickups.
  10. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

Get a B7K :smug:
  11. Veldar

Veldar

I do man but my pups ain't cutting it.
  12. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

The JVX are outstanding! I would choose those every time on a J bass.
  13. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:

Do you have an onboard pre? I find for me, out of the three basses I have, two being active, one with an onboard, and the third a passive, that my active with an onboard cuts through like nobody's business.
  14. Veldar

Veldar

I think, if Warwicks come stock with them.