1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another Fenderbird Finished: Introducing ThunderPenguin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knigel, Nov 17, 2013.

1. knigel

knigel Sporting a Member

Okay, so the name doesn't roll off the tongue, but it took a long time to come together and I'm pretty happy with the results. After doing a non-reverse fenderbird, I wanted to try a different one. The neck is off a Squier VM Jaguar bass, the body is an Epiphone Custom Shop, and the pickups are from that silverburst thunderbird that came out a couple of years ago. The bridge is a Schaller roller bridge, and I'm glad I had it for side-to-side string adjustment. For cheap epiphone pickups, they sound excellent, and I would absolutely use them again. The pickup rings are custom--I had to have them made by the guy at fretsonthenet.com. He is very busy, but communicated well and I highly recommend him.

[DEL]Pics to come in a second because I'm on my iPad and I forget to upload them somewhere...oops!
    [/DEL] They are crappy ones from my phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my original one:

[​IMG]

2. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Very nice, you should have another pickguard for it. But with a penguin design of somesort xD

3. knigel

knigel Sporting a Member

Ha! I actually have a blank t bird pick guard too. Hmmm.....

4. stonehenge

stonehenge Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

That Squier Jag neck adds a really nice touch! Did that neck fit in the pocket as-is, or did you have to make mods in any form?

Also, is the body poly or nitro-finish? It looks nitro to me. If I could just buy necks and bodies like what you have in mass quantities, I'd be making Franken-basses and Fenderbirds all day long!

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I love both of your Fenderbirds

8. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

Damn...very nice basses, especially your new one.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have built 4 fenderbirds ...

This one here is not really a fenderbird. I call it a Thunder-Jag

[​IMG]

10. knigel

knigel Sporting a Member

This one was an easy one. The body is poly from the factory--a few years back epiphone had some custom shop t birds that came in black, white, red, Pelham blue...there might be others I'm forgetting. I did have to rout the neck pocket-- I will NOT be showing a close up, because my free hand router skills leave a lot to be desired. The pickup rings were the hard part. Regular epiphone bodies are way too big for those pickups.

I really like the look of the matching headstock. And to be honest, I generally love squier necks. I mean, I bought the whole bass used for 200 and sold the body loaded for more than 1/2 that. Totally worth it for a blocked neck with black head stock!

11. knigel

knigel Sporting a Member

Oh and I LOVE that thunder jag Ric--it inspired me to finish this, and POSSIBLY start a similar project. It's why I haven't sold off the custom shop pickups!

(Custom shop neck and bridge soon for sale!)

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I just love any frankensteined bass ....

I am considering adding a neck pikup to the Thunder-Jag

13. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Holy ap-cray!! I am definitely saving this and making it my computer's desktop photo. Too much maple and candy-apple-red goodness going on. I'm sure you get a bunch of "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot" looks at gigs from certain audience attendees. I would be as mesmerized/dumbstruck as Austin Powers as he meets "The Mole" in "Goldmember."

AP_Mole.JPG

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

15. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

to me, this bass is just asking for some black or white knobs; the brown seems a little out of place to me. And +1 to the custom penguin-design pickguard. but otherwise, i do indeed think it's a beauty!

16. knigel

knigel Sporting a Member

I was going for a 70s les Paul look of all things.

17. bassteban

bassteban

Lovely. Can't get enough Fenderbirdness. Vowing to someday have one now...

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Sweet! I would consider some white "strat" knobs or maybe some chrome P-bass knobs, although it looks pretty good as it sits.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

When I build Frankensteined basses I will quite often use parts that are available in my workshop, and then sometimes I change them out later.

21. awilkie84

awilkie84

Great looking bass, but those bridge post holes make me want to stick my fingers in them to plug em up!