Another fmoore200 Career Dilemma Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fmoore200, Mar 19, 2014.

1. fmoore200

fmoore200

I've been banging my head against a wall trying to figure this out. I have actually been losing sleep because of it. I have asked friends, family, coworkers, basically everybody except the clergy and have been unsatisfied with the answer :help:

So in my hour of need, I turn to you, my TB family :)

I am up for a transfer at my job. I will basically be doing the same work, but for a different (better) division. The following is a list of pros and cons:

Pros
    1. More variety of work
    2. I have family in that division
    3. Better retirement package
    4. More prestige
    5. Paid sick time, bank holidays for extra vacation time

Cons
    1. Go back to base pay and won't get to top pay for 4 years (I'm two months away in my current division)
    2. Loss of Depot seniority meaning my choice in work will not be as 'good' but I'm counting on the sheer volume of work in the other division will make up for that
    3. Lose vacation time (I have 2 weeks plus 6 personal leave days now - won't have any for a year if I transfer)
    4. Loss of disposable income may delay my desired relocation

Those are all I can think of right now. My main gripe is with the pay drop. Based on a 40 hour week, I'd be losing $400 per week. Now with overtime and different types of differentials I can make up *some* of that, but probably not consistently.

Also, I'm single with no kids, so I *could* absorb the financial hit, but it sure is nice to have disposable income :crying:

So what do you guys think? Stay where I'm at and make as much money as I can right now, or take the hit and go to the better division?

Thanks

2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I'd check with your state's labor board. I'd be surprised that it's allowable to reset someone to entry-level pay and benefits because of a transfer. If someone leaves and comes back or their employment is terminated as part of the process, maybe, but this sounds like a bad deal for you.

Can you post what you do and where you work? I think you mentioned it before, but I don't remember.

Do you know others who transferred? How was this handled when they moved? I wouldn't do anything until I checked with the state. If it's allowed, I would try to negotiate- if they want to keep you as an employee, they have a strange way of showing it.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'd try to negotiate more pay if possible. Working with family may not always be a good thing either. Does the prestige actually help you down the line? Better retirement package is always a good thing, but how long are you planning on working there and is it going to equate to $400 a week better? :p

4. Truktek2

Truktek2

I think it depends on what you mean by "relocation". If you're going to be leaving the new job anyway, what's the point? Stay, make the money, and then only make one move rather than 2.

If it will benefit you in the future, and can absorb the financial hit, go for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

Oh they are a smart company, bassman. They make you 'resign' from your division before accepting the new position. :scowl:

I do know a classmate who transferred this past summer who LOVES the 'better' division, but he wasn't so close to top pay, so the decision was easier for him.

7. fmoore200

fmoore200

There is no negotiating with this company. They don't *want* you. They *accept* you. If you don't like the terms, there are thousands of candidates waiting on a list that will gladly accept the terms they have laid out.

I will reach the rate of pay I'm currently at (likely higher when the new contract goes into effect) but it will take 4 years.

The retirement package is way better, and I can't see a time when my division will ever see a comparable package - in fact, they are trying to make the 'better' division's retirement plan closer to my current division (I'd get in on the last tier, before it changes if I transfer now)

But...

This has been on my mind.

I feel two ways about it:

1) I know I want to relocate, and if offered a comparable job in the area I'm looking for, I'd take it - no matter what division I'm working for in NYC

2) What if I'm unable to locate, and am basically forced to stay at my current job until I retire, then the transfer would be something I will regret *not* doing.

Grown up life sure is complicated

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

So did you apply to this position or did they offer it to you?

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Again, knowing what you do and who you work for would make it easier for us to comment. Someone mentioned "working for family" and that would definitely complicate things, but IMO, family shouldn't operate this way.

If I worked for a company that requires resigning a position before accepting another, I would be sure to make certain that the job is mine- it's never a good idea to quit without having a job to go to and if they wanted to take it to an extreme, they could say that you quit and leave it at that, placing someone else in the position you're looking at. It's not "wrongful termination" because they didn't terminate you.

$400/week is a big hit and it equates to more than I would want to lose, unless I was making a lot of money. I might take a 10% drop if there was some other benefit, but you could create a pretty nice retirement account with $400/week. If they add $100/week in each of those four years that it would take to get back to where you are, you'll lose almost $42K and your retirement account wouldn't grow by that much unless they give stock options that can't lose.

With the uncertainty right now, I'd also look at the cost of living in the new area. If that's lower by a significant margin, it might be worth the move, especially if that region has other jobs, in the event that this doesn't work out.

10. fmoore200

fmoore200

You have to test for it. It is a competitive test, but once passed you are given preferential treatment as a current employee

EDIT: my "want" vs "accept" critique may have been unclear. I wasn't talking about my individual situation. I'm referring more to the general treatment across the board of employees in the company I work for. There are thousands of applicants and management is not shy about letting you know - especially at first. Once you are past probation nobody cares unless you are a total f_up :D

11. fmoore200

fmoore200

It's not a family business. I have family that work in that division, so I listed that as a pro because I would enjoy working in the same facility. My family members would have no direct impact on my working conditions, though.

The retirement package is basically this:

The average of your highest grossing three year period will be cut in half and paid to you for the rest of your life once you have reached 55 years of age and have accumulated 25 years of service. Plus full medical.

So, for example, if you average 100k for three years (not uncommon) your annual income from date of retirement ( possibly age 55 to death) would be 50k.

My current division is like this:

$105 x years of service. Plus medical

So, for example, if you work 30 years your annual income will be $37, 800

I'm 30 right now. So if I take the transfer and work till 55 that will be 25 years and I'll make (potentially) 50k or work 30 years and make $37, 800

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is prestige or money more important to you?

Seeing how you're eyeing up a chance to relocate anyway, I'd do a cash grab and stay where I was until I left.

-Mike

13. Truktek2

Truktek2

Don't make all your decisions based on money either. Life is short. I had the chance to raise my pay by 10% just by switching to the nightshift, but it would also have had an impact on my personal life. I declined.

Keep in mind, once you're locked into a tier, you're locked in.
    Meaning you can do your next 15 years where you are, transfer 7 years before you're ready to retire (max out pay after 4) Work additional 3 years and get 50% of that. Still the same retirement benefits without doing all the time there.

See where you'll be happier. No one wants to dread going to work in the morning, regardless of pay. Just my .02

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

Everybody at my job is telling me to go for the transfer. I'm so confused :banghead::mad:

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I bet they are, especially those behind you in seniority. :)

-Mike

16. fmoore200

fmoore200

Oh there are those, but I've been asking people in management too

17. matante

matante

You are the only one who knows if you really plan on staying at that company until you retire. That seems to be what it comes down to.

18. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

better retirement package means you already have a retirement package, add in some retirement planning on your own and that's covered, which is obviously more doable staying put.

sick time and eventually more vacation, but would that be enough to cover the lost wages? i'm suspecting not..

just looks like a long list of cons to me.

19. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

It's not a transfer- it's starting over, at the bottom, with a pay cut.
    Personally unless it's in Hawaii...
    No.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Maybe you could afford to lose 400/week now, but that's like 20k/year. Think about the impact of putting that money into the bank, or into a moderately risky investment such as an index fund. By the time you retire, that's more than half a mil. Over a shorter time period, having some savings would help you survive if you get laid off.

Of course I can't predict what will happen. One or both of the divisions could vanish overnight.

21. fmoore200

fmoore200

I thank everyone for their opinions and information, but I feel that maybe I did a poor job of explaining the differences between the two positions.

The drop in pay is only temporary. I will make the same amount at either division, and I have not reached top pay in the division I am in now, so the $400 difference is A) not for the entirety of my career and B) not the actual hit I would take.

If I accept the transfer before May 23, the actual decrease in pay is only $4/hr (or $160/ forty hours). The $400 loss is a projection, not an actual loss I will feel paycheck to paycheck seeing as how I haven't reached that level of pay yet.

As far as it being 'starting over' - well it is and it isn't. I will lose what is known as 'depot' or 'pick' seniority, meaning my choice in work will be limited in certain aspects, but only having <3 years anyway, my choice in work is limited anyway :rolleyes: :p

Also, my time towards retirement is carried over (doesn't make much difference for me, seeing as how I'd still have to put in 25 years to reach retirement age and years of service) and there is built in pick seniority over new hires.

The division more likely to fold would be the one I'm currently in. It is only approx 8 years old, and recent acquisitions in Long Island have been privatized, leading to layoffs.

The division I would be transferring to is one of the oldest city/state run transportation companies in the country and is a legit civil service appointment, with a track record of steady work (with civil servants being the last to be laid off).

I know it sounds like I've already made up my mind, but I haven't. If I was sure I was staying in NY for the next 25 years, I wouldn't even have posted this thread. The temporary drop in pay would be worth the added security, sick days, other benefits, and way superior retirement package.

Again, thanks for the input guys. :) I am truly weighing everything. I have a month to make up my mind and feel this is a crossroad in my professional life, with large bearing on my future personal life.