1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another "help me choose some flats" thread!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ryanfenderbass, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

I'm not a newbie to flats, but it has been about 10 years and I'm excited to get some flatty goodness on my MIJ 70s P. I also play hand-wound Wizard p'ups into 2 15s, so I think even Jesus would agree that I should play flats. I play mostly post-punk, indie/alternative stuff, so I need to sit well with an overdriven Tele and synth. I play with fingers 90% of the time (9% pick, 1% slap). For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Simonon/Gallop and their sonic contributions.

I will try TIs, LaBella, etc some day, but for now I'm looking for a low cost investment just to be sure. Do I want:

D"Addario Chromes OR Rotosound Jazz 77s?

What about gauges: I was thinking light or Custom Light the Chromes (45/40-100) or Regular for 77s (45-105)

I often love on the high notes and use a few harmonics, so I don't want too thick of a G/D, but I use a Hipshot D-Tuner, so I need a nice, tight E. For this reason, I use RS Billy Sheehan customs (43-110) which I love the sound off, just not the sandpapery feel.

Thanks for the help!!!
  2. 64jazz

64jazz

I use the 77's and love 'em! Haven't found any reason to look around for something different.
  3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I can comment on the Chromes- for my tastes they were too chimey/ringy.
  4. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

But doesn't the Chromes chimey-ness die out in a few hours/days? Are those overtones ever desirable in a mix?

I should also say I'm a sucker for midrange "mwaaaah" and "grrrrrrowwwl." Any clue which will gimme more of that for longer?

...and both sets are around $25 on Amazon. Can't beat that!
  5. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

Get the damned TI's and get back to us in 10 years to tell us how they're working out.
  6. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

That's what I hear! :) But I want to spend $20-30 on a some decent flats that will fit my sound now... then if/when I become a "flats guy" I'll switch to the big leagues!

What about guages?
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Chromes ECC81
  8. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

Ohhhhhhh, you were confirming that you agree with the light chromes (ECB81)!?!?!

I searched ECC81 and all came up with was an apparently nice set of tubes LOL! :D
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

D'oh! Stupid fingers. :smug:

Yes, the light Chromes. In my current band situation I have no use for flats, but I do have them on one of my Ps and I like the way they sound and love the way they play.
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I removed them carefully as to not scrape off the windings, I'm sure I'll give 'em another shot sometime in the future.
  11. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

This video tipped me over: Classic 1960's P Bass Tones - Garth Fielding - YouTube
    Also, the Chromes are only $23 on Amazon... and I have Prime! Gotta snatch 'em up, because why not? I would love for this thread to stay active, because I will be looking for all the advice I can get as I dive back into the world of flat wounds! Thanks, all!
  12. Deaky

Deaky

Fender 9050cl flats are my new favourite. I tried them again after mixed feelings the first time I tried them.

The more I use them the more I like them. Not too tight tension wise and they sound great.

I used Roto 77 before which are nice but I'm kinda swaying more to the fenders now.
  13. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

I have chromes on a FL bass and the 77s on an Epi Jack Cas bass.

I like the sound of the rotos, but the feel of the chromes:confused:

I wish I had a ton of dough, so I could figure out what strings I like best for each bass. But that could get really expensive.
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Chromes start out with zing and ring but lie down allot if you give them time. Time let's Chromes open up and that is where the strength of this string lies....time.
  15. GM60466

GM60466

I like SIT power Flats
  16. woodyng

woodyng

i have not tried DR flat wound strings,but am intrigued,as they are nickel round core strings,so should have both a nice thumpiness and a supple feel. this would make them similar to TI'S,but they are actually available in a standard gauge(45-105),and about $40 for the set. the ti's for me have always felt TOO light,and i tend to like a 40-100 gauge set! i have a set of 60's maxima flat wounds on one of my basses,and not looking to put flats on anything else at this time.
  17. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

DR's are steel on a round core.
  18. ryanfenderbass

ryanfenderbass

I've been doing more research on flatwound strings than a sane person should.

I read great reviews about everyone's suggestions and I eventually want to try them all! For now, I highly doubt I'll beat the cost effectiveness of chromes... $23!

Rotos, DRs, and TIs are my next short list if I'm not 100% down with the Chromes.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts about the hybrid gauges with the lighter (.40/.60) G/D strings? Chromes and Rotos have those sets as option, maybe DRs. Do you think the difference in tension is noticeable? What about evenness of tone?

Thanks, all!
  19. tonym

tonym

The "chimey-ness" of the chromes dies out pretty quick. I love them. When I was searching for new flats to try out I found this "Chromes vs. Chromes" demo on YouTube: Daddario Chromes vs Chromes on J-Bass - YouTube

Sound isn't that great on the vid but he plays heavy vs. light gauge chromes with fingerstyle, pick and slap.

Gives a pretty good idea what kind of sounds you can get out of them.
  20. J-O

J-O

Flats (other than TI's) tend to be a bit stiffer than rounds of a similar gauge. I use pretty stiff rounds, so the tension has never been an issue for me. I currently have a set of .40 .60 .80 .100 chromes on my old pbass. They are not too stiff at all, I can slap, do string bends, etc. If I was to buy them again I would get a heavier gauge, simply because they do have a good amount of "clank" to them. If you are having some doubts over the increased stiffness, then I'd recommended starting with flats that are one gauge lower than what you typically use for rounds.