Another "help with my signal chain" threads

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarTONEbass, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

I know a little bit about this, but I'm kind of a noob with this number of pedal. Can anyone help me determine a good signal path?

Phase, Flange, Super Booster, Synth, BEF Pro, Octave, OD.

[​IMG]
  2. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

Take the order they are in. Do you like it? If yes then you're done. If no then move them around. Repeat.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Helpful. :rollno:

These types of pedals sound best earlier in the signal chain: Synth, BEF Pro, Octave, OD.

Octaves and synth pedals often track better if they are given the cleanest signal possible, so I'd start with those two first. Many folks like OD before autowah, so that's probably worth a shot.

Phase and Flange usually sound better later.

Sorry, I've never used a boost, but it does occur to me that if you boost before an effect, it will change how that effect behaves. So the question becomes, do you want that or not? Me, I don't think I would. My guitar player is just the opposite.

So I'd personally start with something like Octave, Synth, OD, BEF Pro, Phase, Flange, Super Booster. And then experiment. ;)
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

^ That, for those reasons.

Octave, synth, boost, OD, envelope, (phaser/flanger) would be my starting position.
    Possibly put the boost last.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarTONEbass

Excellent starting places, many thanks gentlemen.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I forgot to mention, having the boost before the envelope may give option to give the filter sensitivity a hurry up, so to speak, increasing the intensity.
  8. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1 to both order and reasons.... for the most part. :D

The only difference I'd probably make would be to start with the overdrive after the filter. Depends on how they would sound in either order, and purely subjective personal preference.

Aside from that, it's all personal taste. What sounds best to your ears.

Downunder makes a good point... where you put the booster will potentially make a BIG difference. Put it at the end of the chain and you're simply changing volume (or hitting the preamp on your amp a lot harder, causing overdrive there). Put the Booster before the envelope filter though, and it will drastically change how the filter sounds... bigger signal will drive the filter circuit much more strongly, which translates to the filter circuit opening faster and more.

Keep us posted. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's happy to answer any more questions!

5sg.
  9. Unemploid

Unemploid

from the top of my head: octave - od - (middle) - phaser - flanger - chorus

whatever pedals i didn't mention put in some order in the middle. really it's whatever order you like, less the octave is analog. analog octave should be one of the first, wahs are usually before it. how to determine the order yourself? put the od before and after the phaser, click them both on, and listen to which sound you prefer.
  10. MarTONEbass

So far I'm going OD--Octave---BEF Pro----Synth----Phase----Flanger----Chorus.

I figured out that the G5 Synth does not like to be on the One-Spot. Not happy about that, but it's an amazing pedal.

Not sure about the order of the phase, flanger and chorus. I think one of them is sucking some tone....something is. Maybe the DOD?

I'm in a top 40 cover band, so I likely can lose one or two of those. The boost is already aced, just don't need it in my current situation.

Any further thoughts are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks again for the help.

[​IMG]