another J-bass shootout...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deste, Oct 19, 2013.

1. deste

deste

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    I found on another site this J-bass shootout:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/10/08/guitar-bank-fender-jazz-bass-shootout/

Am I wrong if I say that, after repeated viewings with different speakers and headphones, that the best sounding one is the MIJ? then the MIM (I prefer soft dark tones) and the maple MIA (too brilliant for me, but it's great), and only fourth, and quite far from the other three, the rosewood MIA?

What do you think about it?
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

The MIM would disappear in the mix. Which is what some people want. Super mellow.

The MIJ sounds clear and sweet, but very polite.

The rosewood MIA has growl and grit and would shine in a mix, especially against dirty guitars.

The maple MIA is a little boxy sounding to me.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nice shootout vid there!

They all sounded nice, and yet, nicely distinct from one another. I did like the maple MIA's more aggressive tones, but if I had to choose one that pleased my ears best with it's overall sound quality, I'd have to go with the MIJ. It's low-end-of-the-spectrum was very strong without getting muddy, all the while still maintaining a clearly defined higher-end.