1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another new SVT7Pro owner and amp failure

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gpschmidt, Mar 16, 2014.

1. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

I purchased a SVT7Pro a couple of weeks ago and started using it for rehearsals in an upcoming Cabaret show. I'd say I had about 20 hours or so on the clock with the head. I really like the tone it produces. Within the 20 hours, not a single hiccup from it. I'm using a Ampeg SVT410HE cabinet with it. The head is rack mounted and plugged into a Furman.

The shows started Friday night and all went well. We have an intermission mid-performance and I just roll off the volume on my T-bird and let the amp run. No issue Friday night. However, last night I came back from intermission, grabbed my bass, rolled on the volume and....nothing. I looked over at the amp, no lights. power switch was on. The furman was lit and operating. I went over to the amp, turned it off, checked to make sure the power cord was firmly in the amp, powered it back on and nothing.

Long story short I missed 1/2 of the 2nd act running across town to grab another head rig I have which consists of an SanAmp RBI and 2400 watt power amp. And that has never failed me.

Today I'll check the fuse, but I am not a happy camper about this. Tomorrow Ampeg will be contacted.

2. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Stuff happens at the most inopportune times and I would be pissed too. More than likely it sounds like something you need to contact Ampeg about. They have fine customer service so they should be able either fix it or replace it.

3. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

How many revisions are we up to now?

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

"Check the fuse"....

Yea, one DOES do that, but anything that blows a properly sized fuse on this type of amp is not generally gonna be "just a blown fuse". That pretty much went out with the dinosaurs as a problem.... with SS amps.

With an SVT you can maybe pull a couple tubes, stick in a fuse, and go on.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C

I would have though that if a component was going to fail early it would have been in the first 20 hours or so.

7. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

Checked the fuse, it's fine. I wrote a love letter to Ampeg and I'll call them tomorrow.

It's rev C00 on this amp.

8. Big John66

Big John66

Man, this is a drag. I've had my 7-pro for about a year and a half now. I've had zero problems and it's been pushed hard through an 8x10 about 2 or 3 weekends a month solid.

But every time I hear of another one going down, I feel like my clock is ticking. Lately,I've been throwing my LM II in my van just in case but I hope I never need it.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm also glad it's not me this time.

9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

sorry to hear that. nothing quite as aggravating in our live performance life than unreliable gear.

My own experience is with a PF500, not a SVT7Pro, but my PF500 never leads off a show anymore. I have other gear that has never failed me, and that's the stuff that gets gigged.

good luck with Ampeg CS. As reported here on TB, sometimes they are great, sometimes not so much.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Why is there not a class action law suit against Ampeg owner, LOUD Technologies? Ampeg has become synonymous with catastrophic failure. Why are there no TV commercials "Call 1-800-BAD-AMPP"? LOUD needs to be sued into utter oblivion, and it wouldn't take much as they are on the verge of bankruptcy now. :spit:

11. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

I had a c00 and took it to a gig.

It cut out all night long!!

Di stayed strong but amp cut out prolly 30 times that night and I just played through.

Returned it the following Monday.

Unfortunate

12. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

My note to Ampeg...

Hello,

On 2/28/2014 I ordered a new Ampeg SVT7Pro from American Musical Supply. Serial number SVT7PROXXXX089, Rev C00. The unit arrived via Fedex on 3/4/2014. The package appeared to have no damage and was double boxed. Along with the amp, I also ordered a Furman power conditioner and a rack unit to mount the equipment into. I began using the amp head with my Ampeg SVT410HE cabinet on 3/10/2014 during rehearsals for an upcoming Cabaret show. The rehearsals were each night that week from 6:30pm until 9:30pm. During the rehearsals, the amp functioned perfectly and I was very happy with the sound and quality of the amplifier. The amplifier was kept at a very moderate volume on stage and was directed out to the house PA. The bass was plugged directly into the amp, no effects were used. The 1st show was on Friday, March 14th. It runs 2 acts, approximately 1.5 hours each. During the intermission, I left the amp powered on, but rolled the volume off of my Thunderbird bass. Again, the amp performed perfectly. No odd sounds, no issues at all.

However, on Saturday, March 15th during the 2nd show and right after intermission I returned to the stage to find the amp had no power. I checked to make sure the power cable was seated properly and cycled power several times to no avail. The amp was dead. I had no other option but to leave the stage, run across town and grab an older non Ampeg rack head. In the process missing 8 song performances. I was not and am not happy about the failure of the SVT7Pro.

Today I pulled the fuse and checked it for continuity and found the fuse to be perfectly fine. I also went to my local hardware and tried a new fuse just in case, however the amp still does not power on.

I may be lucky, but in the 36 years I’ve been playing I’ve never had a new piece of equipment fail so quickly after using it. I believe it had a sum total of 20 hours of play time on it before it died. The closest service center is 60+ miles away and I not excited about having to leave a brand new piece of equipment in a shop for weeks. I have no idea when I will have the time to make the trip either.

In the bass world, as you are aware, Ampeg is considered to be a long time, high quality producer of world renowned bass amplification. I’ve been happy with my cabinets, but after spending $800 on the SVT7Pro, I feel I may have made a bad purchase. At the time I purchased it, I did not do any homework about the experience of others with this particular model of amp. Being that it was an Ampeg piece of equipment, I did not think there would be quality issues. But after looking at several threads on Bass Talk Forum, it appears that what happened with my head is not uncommon to others who have purchased it.

I’d like to know how to proceed so I can have a functioning head and not to be inconvenienced for this failure any further . After spending $800 on this amplifier, I believe I’m entitled to that.

Thank you.

Greg Schmidt

13. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Since you just purchased the amp only 2 weeks ago, I'd contact AMS and advise them you either want another 7PRO or your money back. You should not pay a penny for shipping either way. Let them take care of the Ampeg issue.

14. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

I've given that thought, but here's my dilemma. Like a fool I tossed the packaging and trash pickup was last Friday. I have a sinking suspicion that AMS will want me to ship the head back to them 1st, before they ship me another head. I could be wrong, but it's an option to contact them after I hear back from Ampeg. I figure Ampeg has more invested in taking care of the problem.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck finding a lawyer.

16. Jim C

Jim C

I had read on this board that they were at a much higher revision number at this time.
    My COO is much older; wonder if you received one that was not the latest release?

17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Probably a cold solder joint somewhere. Just a SWAG.

Had something similar happen and turned out to be that.

18. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

Talked to Ampeg, who sent me to AMS. AMS wanted to cross ship to which I said, um, no because I don't have the boxes. So after some discussion and the tech guy looking to see if I had a habit of shipping things back (I can't recall in recent years ever doing that) and realizing that within the last year I've spent thousands there, he agreed to ship me the amp and then have me send back the bad one. So there ya go.

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

cool. at least you got satisfactory customer service. Hope it works out for you.