Another newbie thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sareece, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Sareece

Sareece

Howdy ya'll,

I'm looking to upgrade a little and looking for advice. I'm torn between a Traben 5 Chaos Core, or a Schecter either a Stiletto Studio 5 or a C-5 Deluxe. Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Sareece

Sareece

3. obimark

obimark

Have played the Schecter- didn't do much for me.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would never recommend a Traben. Ever. Do they still make those god-awful things? Ugly, heavy, and overall disappointing. However, if you really want a douchey looking flame bass with flame bridge, Traben is the brand for you. Expect the re-sale value to be about 1/5 of what you pay for it.

I am not a big Schecter fan but in this case, Schecter hands down.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

+1 - I've had a Traben and sold it as soon as I could. I was disappointed with it.
    Between those choices, I would say anything BUT the Traben. Schecter's not bad- I too am not really into Schecter basses but at least quality wise, they're superior.

7. Sareece

Sareece

Wow, thanks! If there is so much negative for Traben's I'm surprised more people aren't commenting.

8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Just a heads up, you may get more replies if you describe what you're looking for (specs, strings, weight, price, genres, etc.), rather than specific basses. Not knowing why you are looking at the basses you mentioned makes it difficult to make recommendations.

9. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

Well traben gets absolutely no love on tb, but most people that hate on traben have no experience with them. They simply hate the looks and therefore the basses must be crap. And Id be willing to bet all the people always commenting about the awful bridges don't even realize the chaos doesn't even have a "douchey tribal flame bridge"

This is not to say they don't have flaws or will appeal to everyone and I will admit, the new trabens made in Vietnam are very sketchy quality wise, however the Korean made one's are excellent basses.

I've had 5 traben basses and only 1 which was a Vietnam made chaos core had any problems.

The chaos core is an absolute tone monster, with the massive rockfield pickups and an aguilar obp3 preamp. I check the classifieds every day for another Korean made chaos core. Check out the traben club here on talkbass, lots of good info.

And I've also had a few schecters, which I quite enjoy as well, but to me there is no comparison, a Korean made chaos core is miles above either schecter.