Another noob Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wallygator, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

Ok, I have recently started jamming with a group in my sister-in-law's basement. A fun 5 piece classic rock kind of thing, mostly for fun but we might entertain the odd summer gig or party kind of thing.

Anyways, not wanting to lug my good amp back and forth all the time, I brought my spare ampeg BA-108. Love the tone on it but it's isn't quite loud enough (almost but not quite), anyways I just picked up a Line 6 Studio 110. Got it used really cheap and man this little guy packs quite a punch.

My question is this, on the back is an XLR out jack which I assume is to connect to a PA or direct to record.

The other is a preamp out and pardon my ignorance but what does that do for me?

Also is it possible to connect both amps together to fill in the room a little more? and what would be required?

Cheers.

2. Linnin

Linnin

All you need is a guitar cable. Run from the pre-amp out of the Line6 into the input of your Ampeg. Bingo-Zingo!

3. VeganThump

VeganThump

The preamp out is used if you want to use the preamp of said amp but would prefer to use a different power amp. As far connecting those two amps, I'm not positive how to do it since they are both combos and honestly, I don't know much about that line 6. I'm sure it can be done but I'm not exactly positive and I'm certain someone will chime in and tell you how. Is there an ext speaker jack on the rear panel of either amp?

4. Wallygator

Wallygator

Cool, thanks. So would the Line 6 control the volume for both or would they need to be controlled separately? AND is there any way of damaging either amp this way?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

You can run L6 PREAMP OUT to Ampeg RETURN, or L6 CABINET SIMULATED DIRECT OUT to Ampeg Amp INPUT.

PREAMP OUT is typically line level (+4dB) and DIRECT OUT is typically mic level (I think... manual states "Recording Level" so maybe it's instrument level on the L6).

If you run to Ampeg INPUT, you get to use the Ampeg preamp and volume controls.

If you run to Ampeg RETURN, you don't get to use the Ampeg preamp and volume controls. Well, depending on the design of the Ampeg, you may get to use the volume, but in most solid states I've seen, you don't get that volume control on RETURN.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Yes, you'll have to adjust the volumes separately, and tone too. The pre-amped signal might be a bit hot for the Ampeg's input. If so then use whatever input or -6dB pad as if it were an active bass and that should take things down to a clean level.

Just be careful and keep your Ampeg's volume very low to start, and go from there. You will have to experiment to find the best settings. You won't hurt your Line6, but you could blow up your Ampeg if you act like a mad scientist.