1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another ODB 3 mod question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Apr 2, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Ok, so I found my ol' boss ODB3 in storage. It didn't work. I ran out and got a capacitor today, threw it in and it works great now. It sounds friggen sick through my B7K! I'm wondering if I should mod the ODB3 now. I keep reading on TB that the mod sounds awesome and makes it a whole different beast. But I haven't really seem what the mod entails. I'd like to do this. I think. I have three questions:

Has anyone had some experience with these two pedals together and how are you utilizing them together?

Would you bother modding the ODB3 if I'm running the B7K with it?

And what exactly does the mod do to the ODB3 and what are the advantages/disadvantages to it and is a "better" pedal after it is modded and why? How does it compare to the original version of the ODB3?
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I want to know how you're setting your ODB-3 into your B7K? I bought my B7K, fully intending that it would replace my ODB-3 (and a lot more), and I was going to get rid of the ODB-3, but maybe I should try out the combo?
  3. gregmon79

Here's what I have them set to at the moment, it could change though. I'm still messin with it:

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364959316.592147.jpg

The level on the ODB3 varies just because its getting late and I'm in an apt. But it gives it some really sweet grit.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I can't remember where I got these mods from. I think there where more... but these where the mods I liked the best:

Change location C10 to 1uf or 2.2uf to add mids,warmth and
    fatness,

C8 to .001uf to remove highs that make your ears bleed

and D2,D3 to 1n4148 this will yield less distortion and allow more
    clean tone coming through, and a little smoother!!

You could try different diodes/leds, even leaky germanium transistors for D2 and D3.

But in the end it was still a bit too harsh for me. I sold it, mods and all.

And a thanks! I was checking to see if I still had the ODB3 and I found my Rust Ride!
  5. gregmon79

Hey thanks. Not sure if I'll mod it yet. I have to use it in a live setting for a while and see if I can dig it.

Glad I could help! Haha what is the Rust Ride?
  6. seanm

[​IMG]

Only they are more blue in "real life".
  7. gregmon79

Looks awesome. Do they still make this? How much? And what does it do for you?
  8. seanm

They still make it ;) Too much, almost $200 new. The best way to put it is that it is a medium duty distortion. But, and others will disagree, it does a great job of keeping your low end.

Don't buy one new. People either love it or hate it. It is not very flexible, so if you basically know right away if it is for you. It is also a bit overpriced.

The rust ride has an effected and clean output, so you can run to two channels and basically blend the clean back in if you want. Cool feature, but I have never used it that way live.

In a long gone band I used a Torn's Peaker on Neil Young's "My my hey hey" song and a sparkle drive on another (can't remember any more). Basically, after I got the Rust Ride I split the difference and used just the Rust Ride on both songs.
  9. gregmon79

I'm very intrigued. I'd like to hear it in action. I'll YouTube it. Is it sort of like a fulltone bass drive maybe? Just not with all the distortion? I'm always on the look out for a nice low raunchy grind pedal. I'm just about there actually until I find something better. I'm using the B7K by darkglass and an OCD by fulltone and of course, the ODB3. The ODB was my missing link I think. My rig is ridiculously raunch now and I love it. It's a tone I've been searching for a long time and I've finally gotten pretty dang close to what I was looking for.