Another old noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Purplefowler, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Purplefowler

Purplefowler

Hiya, please be gentle with me! I used to play bass many years ago (about 20, blimey I can't be that old already!), but had a crisis of confidence and stopped, although I've always fiddled with guitars, drums, combo organs and anything else I can make a noise with! Then last year my dad got very ill after suffering a brain haemorage and was then diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. Whilst looking through all his old photos, I found a huge amount were of me playing various basses and of me when I was in a band, and I realised how proud he was of me. Sadly he lost his fight in October so, as a tribute to his memory I decided to start playing again. I'd forgotten how much I loved playing!
    I have an old sunn mustang that dad got converted to fretless for me, and fender jazz (made in japan '94 60s reissue). The real musical bond I shared with my dad though was our love of the who so I've used the money he left me to buy a new baby and yesterday I went shopping and came home with a shiny new 50th anniversary gibson thunderbird. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it! The thin neck suits my little girly hands and it sound pretty awesome through my mk1 WEM dominator. At the moment I'm just playing at home to relearn the stuff I'd forgotten and to get my creaky fingers working properly, so the dominator is perfect, but if (when) I get back into playing out I'll be looking for something with abit more power.
    I love all music styles but I guess I particularly love rock from the 60's to present day (abit vague but really anything from the who, the small faces, The pretty things through to my chemical romance, black mountain, and just about anything inbetween-as long as it rocks and has a wicked bass!).
    Well that's all I can think of, I don't want to bore everyone too much so I'll leave it at that! As I said, please be gentle with me-I've got 20 years to catch up on :)
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

you're ahead of most of us, i'm sure!;)
  3. sootski

sootski

Nice story. Good luck!
  4. Purplefowler

Purplefowler

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm already addicted to reading here, very inspirational!
  5. Register to disable this ad