another string recommendation thread…..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Hello all, I play a AM Std P and it is currently strung with Fender flats. I love the thumpy tone and the feel of these strings, they're nowhere near as "sticky" feeling as the chromes I tried in the past.
    However, the fast decay in sustain is the only thing I'm not digging about these strings. This is a characteristic of flats that I was aware of when I chose to go the flat wound route, but I can't help to think that there's a set of reasonably priced flats that hold a better sustain. I'm not opposed to going back to a round wound string as long as it's not too zingy and bright, (even a few nickel rounds I've tried in the past have been too bright).

Any thoughts?
  2. Steve

Steve

You can play 'The Blues Man' with Sadowsky flats and that's full of tied whole notes at a slow tempo.
  3. Pier_

Pier_

Thomastik Jazz JF344, maybe expensive (here in Europe around 40/45€), but nice sustain, singing notes and "flatwound sound".
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Thomastik by far.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveV74

SteveV74

Try DR coated strings....not too bright, comfortable to the touch, plenty of sustain.
  7. Levin

Levin

TIs or Sadowskys! TI's will be more like the Fenders IMO but much warmer, and the Sadowskys will be a lot like (also IMO) improved LaBellas.
    For variety, I'd take the Sadowskys, but if I never slapped and played only thumb+fingers then TI all the way, they just make most basses come alive in a way you wouldn't think possible when they've settled and broken in.
  8. dwbosch

dwbosch

Just put TI flats on my fretted Warwick Corvette Standard V after 5 years of rounds (Roto, D'Addario, Elixer Nickel, etc). Lots of great strings out there but these are awfully good. I don't miss the fret noise. Wonderful clarity and tone. I've been trying to solve the boomy B and twangy G for a long time and these strings absolutely do that. Quickly getting used to the lower string tension, which is easier on my 50-year-old tendons. If they hold up as long as people say they do, these are the best bang for the buck out there by far.
  9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Another vote for TI