1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Another stupid question (on board preamps)

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by timolius, Jun 28, 2013.

1. timolius

timolius Supporting Member

Why does somebody need an onboard preamp? If I have a good quality amp w a nice front end, should I need a preamp in my bass?
    I have played some basses w onboard pres and they sound good, but I think if I was to play with the input and eq on my amp I could get the same sound w a passive bass. I have a passive J bass (G&L) and was wondering what I would gain with an onboard pre.

Thanks in advance for any input
    T
  2. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

I've had both and find the on broad preamp let me tweet my EQ when I'm away from my amp on stage.