1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another TB member from the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Coolhandjjl, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I've five years as an electric bassist. Been reading the suggested newbie links here, they are hugely educational. I have even been to my local music store to inquire about their rental program. (But I didn't know enough then to ask what types of basses they use, IE fully plywood or hybrid).

I'm taking the immensely popular highly amplified Rock-a-Billy playing off the table for now.

Will a fully plywood bass like a Shen SB100 or Thompsom RM100 disappoint for acoustic playing? Do I just have to pony up for a hybrid?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Okay, first of all, welcome. Second, let's get one thing straight: We're the dark side!!!!!

Now, to your question, there's nothing wrong with plywood basses, especially for a rental. So much of it is in your hands, get into a servicable instrument, find a good teacher and developing your technique. You'll start to develop some preferences over time and then you can look ahead.

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    ^ this! What genre of music do you want to play? Classical players might not be satisfied with a plywood bass for more than a year or two, but some bassists playing in other genres prefer plywood because they're more durable. Renting a well-setup plywood bass while you're getting started is not a bad way to go, IMO.

4. fishstick666

fishstick666 Supporting Member

FWIW, I choose my all ply Shen SB90 over a carved top Christopher (which was a little cheaper). To me, it just sounded better. My teacher who plays a 100+ year old carved bass also digs the sound of my bass, and it just gets better as it opens up.

5. Register to disable this ad