Another TB member from the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Coolhandjjl, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I've five years as an electric bassist. Been reading the suggested newbie links here, they are hugely educational. I have even been to my local music store to inquire about their rental program. (But I didn't know enough then to ask what types of basses they use, IE fully plywood or hybrid).

I'm taking the immensely popular highly amplified Rock-a-Billy playing off the table for now.

Will a fully plywood bass like a Shen SB100 or Thompsom RM100 disappoint for acoustic playing? Do I just have to pony up for a hybrid?
  2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Supporting Member

Okay, first of all, welcome. Second, let's get one thing straight: We're the dark side!!!!!

Now, to your question, there's nothing wrong with plywood basses, especially for a rental. So much of it is in your hands, get into a servicable instrument, find a good teacher and developing your technique. You'll start to develop some preferences over time and then you can look ahead.
  3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Previously tcl Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    ^ this! What genre of music do you want to play? Classical players might not be satisfied with a plywood bass for more than a year or two, but some bassists playing in other genres prefer plywood because they're more durable. Renting a well-setup plywood bass while you're getting started is not a bad way to go, IMO.
  4. fishstick666

fishstick666 Supporting Member

FWIW, I choose my all ply Shen SB90 over a carved top Christopher (which was a little cheaper). To me, it just sounded better. My teacher who plays a 100+ year old carved bass also digs the sound of my bass, and it just gets better as it opens up.
  5. Register to disable this ad