Another Vintage Fender Dating Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matti777, Jan 6, 2014.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

The base is Olympic White and badly yellowed which makes me wonder if it is nitro and not poly. I'm assuming that nitro yellowed more and since Fender went to poly in '68 (I believe) it got me thinking. I'm wondering if the body on my jazz is actually a '67 and the neck a '69. The neck is dated May '69 so that is an easy one :) The neck plate is six digit 172XXX and the pots are 66/67. When I first bought it I thought the neck plate was for a '70s Fender. Any thoughts on how I could positively id the finish or body date?

Attached Files:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Possible. Need some close-ups, as high-res and focused as possible to look at the finish and the wear. Nitro was still sprayed into '67. Many older instruments had necks replaced along the way.
  3. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I've seen dozens of 70's Fenders...even late 70's that have turned very yellow. Fender switched to a poly base coat for the color in 68' but kept using the nitro clear coat on top for many years.
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Need to see the neck pocket and what's under the scratchplate and also what's under the pickups. There are sometimes clues here.

Pots can be from a different year from the assembly date but 66/67 is a considerable gap with 69.

Davo
  5. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

Pots used in Fenders from 1966 to 1969 are ALL dated to 1966 (Fender bought a huge batch back then, enough for 3 years worth of electronics). As for dating the body... You can't. But there wasn't really a "cut-off" like: "and on this day, we're going for nitro". Nitro was still being used in the seventies for the 3-tone sunburst (the color layers), it's just the transparant coat that was polyester. Chances are that yours is also very "nicotine-glo" in terms of color, like this coronado from the same era: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Coro...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/another-vintage-fender-jazz-id-question-952542/
    I've seen that bass before, I knew it!
  6. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Here are a few more pics. So its seems that there is no way of determining if it is a '67 or '69 body then. Since the neck plate indicates '67 I'll go with that. It can be easily replaced along the way but why would that happen? I'm just curious as I don't think it matters much from a value perspective.

Attached Files:

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Actually, there are many ways it could happen, including during a swap to replace a bum neck.

Back in the day, nobody worried about serial numbers or authenticity once the warranty was up. Lots of old Fenders are a marriage of a good neck with a favourite body. In that situation, it's a coin toss as to which bass gets which neck plate...