Another Watterson Guitars Bass Build "The Ultimate Bass"(Caution: Darkstar content)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tmoney61092, Apr 9, 2014.

1. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Well we're almost done with my Hollow Body Bass VI(http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/watterson-guitars-hollowbody-bass-vi-build-1046200/) so we decided to start on another bass build for myself :D

One day I was thinking to myself, "hmm I really wish I had a bass that could nail the classic P bass tone but have the versatility of a J pickup in the bridge and a EB-0 Mudbucker in the neck." Well after further thinking I remembered that Curtis Novak makes EB-0 replacement pickups but knowing that EB-0 are very high output pickups I wanted to be able to have the output of the set matched to where none of them were way louder than the others so there wouldn't be volume spikes, so I decided to contact him with this crazy idea. He loved it! After talking a while though he suggested going with the BS-DS pickup since it's easier to wire to custom specs and blends better with other pickups which I'm glad because I like the look of it better than the EB-0!

So I am having the pickups wound to be similar to my bass hero's, the P will be wound to sound like Roger Waters tone(think live at Pompeii), and the J will be wound to cop a Jaco tone, and the BS-DS will be nice and bassy :D The controls will be: Master volume, master tone, 5 way strat pickup selector, and a Rothstein passive midrange boost/cut(I used this on another bass and can't live without it now) but may swap the regular tone for Fender TBX to make the ultimate passive bass.

I've always loved the P-bass body but being that we like to keep things somewhat original, I made a little design mod to it :D I love the look of the 70's Moca P basses so I'm going with a Moca type stain for the color along with a black pickguard.

I went with Hipshot hardware. I'm using the Supertone 2 point bridge and the HB-1 Tuners with a 3 string string retainer in chrome

I need to buy a second neck because the only one I have has a maple fingerboard and I'm more keen on rosewood.

Features:

Body Wood: Poplar
    Neck: Maple on Maple
    Nut: Brass
    Color: Moca Stain
    Pickups: Curtis Novak BS-DS, Curtis Novak P, and Curtis Novak J
    Electronics: Master Volume, Master Tone(possible Fender TBX), 5-way Pickup Selector, Rothstein Passive Midrange Boost/Cut
    Pickguard: Black
    Hardware: Hipshot Supertone 2 point, HB-1 tuners, and a 3 string string retainer

You can see where I was trying to get the stain to my liking.

Attached Files:

2. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Very cool! Cant wait to see it finished!

3. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Thanks mate! I can't wait for it to be finished!

4. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Got the pickups from yesterday from Curtis :D now just have to order the rest of the parts!

7. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

obligatory parts picture :D

Attached Files:

8. Tmh2oson

Tmh2oson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    Hey guys, this is Taylor, I decided to make a new profile because I didn't like my old username :p I'll be posting an update in just a few on this bass!

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Cool! I dig the design and I'm looking forward to progress reports.

10. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    well we were out of black material for the pickguard and had this mint green lying around so we figured, "Hey, why not?" so I cut it out and still have a little shaping left to do, the second picture is me setting up the pickups where they'll be and adjusting the bridge so that the strings go over the pole pieces! We've done some routing and cutting since these were taken so I'll post those tomorrow!

The controls have been modified slightly, I'm going with master volume, master tone, Rothstein passive Midrange boost/cut(love these babies!) and 3 on/off slider switches just for the heck of it :D

Attached Files:

11. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    My dad finished putting it together while I was at work and sent me this picture! Can't wait to get home and play it!!! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398626742.780020.jpg

12. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    So this is officially my dream bass! All the controls and the pickups make this the most versatile bass I've ever owned! It's beats every active bass I've played and through my rig it's unstoppable! I'm dreading the finishing process bc I won't be able to play it until we're finished painting :( is it weird to have a signature model of the basses you build yourself? Because this would be mine!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398741270.088666.jpg

13. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    Lookin good if I say so myself! The stain is a mix that I came up with myself :D
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1399129939.556338.jpg

josiah goldfish likes this.
  14. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    Sorry for no posting in a while. The finish process is complete! Here's a quick action shot ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402366772.194368.jpg
    Now we have a problem though. When we first got the bass together the darkstar was super bassy and awesome sounding, but now it's really nasally and almost sounds out of phase...all the pickups are 2 conductor/single coil so there's no way it could be out of phase, right? Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

15. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Nice! Yes, it most assuredly could be out of phase. But since it's just a two-conductor, it's very easy to fix it - just swap those two leads and report back. :)

16. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    wow I never knew that, I'll definitely try it in the morning and report back! thanks brother!

17. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    I guess I should've made it a little clearer. By 2 conductor I meant just a ground and a lead, I've taken the electronics out and have been looking at them so here's a pic ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402414137.300916.jpg
    When switching the wires the pickup doesn't work at all since it's just a ground but I've found that when soloing the neck pickup and tapping on it it has a slightly louder sound and then I add the p pickup and it gets thinner as I tap on it. Any one have any ideas??
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402414234.239308.jpg
    Here's the pickup switches

18. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

So try swapping the leads on the P pickup.

Sent from my asteroid using Awesome

19. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    well still no clue what's going on so decided to email Curtis and see what he has to say

20. Tmh2oson

Disclosures:
    Watterson Guitars
    well after emailing Mr. Novak he seems to think that the magnet may have come loose on one of the pups so I'll be sending them back to him and also have him make the J pickup hotter so that it can be solo'd and be more audible