1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

...another wiring question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 18, 2012.

1. zachoff

zachoff

I've really looked all over and can't find a diagram, so here's what I'm doing.

Ripped the active pre out of my Epi T-Bird Pro. Too scooped, don't like it, blah blah, anyway...

I have 4 holes to fill and want to do this:
    top/front = neck vol
    top/back = bridge vol
    bottom/front = master tone
    bottom/back = 3-way selector

Is this possible? I think I've kind of pieced together how to do this by looking at the Seymour Duncan site and combining the Passive Soap diagram w/ general Gibson 2x2/3-way sort of thing. Am I wrong? Might be... Also wondering what the general consensus is about 500k vs 250k pots. Pickups are the Duncan Designs that came w/ the bass.

2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

500k will be brighter.

The wiring would be:
    Each pickup to their respective volume pots
    >
    3-way selector (I'm guessing neck/both/bridge)
    >
    Output jack

Since the tone is in parallel, you could either wire it to the output jack or the switcg output.

Hope this helps.

3. line6man

line6man

[​IMG]

There are two ways you can do this. As shown above, with the wiper terminals wired as outputs, to allow a constant input impedance on the pickups, but no independent control; or with the wiper terminals wired as inputs for independent volumes that cause a variable-impedance loading effect on the pickups.

4. zachoff

zachoff

OK, now tell me how dumb I am for wanting to do that... Please! :D

I'd rather do a 2x2 setup w/o the switch. vol+tone for each pup. Looked at diagrams for these as well but can't find something w/o a switch. Anyway, anyone want to help out?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

It's not a common setup, as the tone controls are going to interact, unless you isolate the signal paths with resistors, at the expense of some output.
    [​IMG]