1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Another wiring+shielding question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by miholc, Jan 18, 2013.

1. miholc

miholc

I've just shielded both cavities (copper foil) and bottom of a pickguard (2 'cages' connected together). Do I need to solder a wire connecting shield and pot/jack (ground)?

Or is this unnecessary since output jack's in touch with copper foil under the PG? Is this grounded already, right? Also, where do I solder groundwire coming from the bridge? To back of the pot or to a jack's ground :confused: I'm doing this on my P btw...

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm complete noob about electronics,...

2. llldino

llldino

The copper shielding needs to be grounded. Not sure if contact with the jack would do it, why not just run a wire from the shield to the ground. It doesn't matter weather its onto a back of a pot or to the jack, as long as it goes to ground.

3. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Big shout out to Davey for this video I watched last night. He answers the OP's question in it.