1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Antares basses anyone? (with pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeep floyd, May 31, 2011.

1. jeep floyd

jeep floyd

Long time ago I saw this add at a local magazine, "BASS FOR SALE" no brand or condition of the bass was published... So, I called the guy and at no time I found myself knocking at his door, He pulled the bass from a very old bag, Pbass form, neck through, road worn look natural wood colors... he plugged into an amp and terrible noises came out... of course there was something wrong with the plug or pickup cables... no questions asked... I took it and fix it at no time, replaced the tuning keys... I was and after all this years I am still very surprised with the quality of this instrument, it has a very nice and powerful output great voice and tone, and very comfortable to play... in fact it sounds better than must of the fancy expensive basses from my arsenal... I looked over Antares brand at the internet and very little information is available... I have never seen an Antares bass or instrument at all other than this... so if you have one please share...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Billystarfish

Billystarfish

I found your post while googling for my newly acquired Antares Bass from a friend of my fathers. I know nothing about where he got his, but it's the exact type in your pictures. I wasn't sure what it was going to be when I picked it up, but was pleasantly surprised by it's original look, I've yet to hook it into an amp so i'm excited about that. Have you found any more info out on it's age?
  3. Dave Brown

Dave Brown

I have one and it looks just like yours. I got mine way back in 1980 something. I traded a Japanese Fender Mustang for it from a guy who had all kinds of guitars and basses. It is without question a beautiful bass, but the hardware sucks as you've noted. It was my first bass and I'll keep it forever, and I've actually played the crap out of it even with the crappy pots and plug. I'll post some pics of mine when I can and I've decided to upgrade it with better electronics and bridge....after all these years.
  4. jcsbass

jcsbass

i used to have an antares just like that one. it was badly damaged in a defretting-gone-wrong and i ended up trashing it. i recall it was heavy as hell but played and sounded decent. a former bandmate of mine had the original electronics replaced b/c he wanted to use it as a backup. but i remember prior to him having it fixed, it barely worked w/ the stock P/U.
  5. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

I had a Hondo pretty much identical to this.
  6. NoFretsNoWorry

NoFretsNoWorry

I found my used Antares P bass with frets yanked out at a pawn shop in Denton, TX (Dan's Pawn I believe?)

Traded a radar detector for it in 1988....an $80 dollar value!

Added EMG PJ and it is my FAV bass!!!!...live and recording!

Added Badass Bridge, and Gotoh tuners, extra string tree to keep A from buzzing. Has original brass nut, which makes INSANELY great chiming harmonics for open strings!

Insane unfinished bird's eye maple bolt-on neck! LOVE it!

Strange P body made of plys of maple and mahogany.

As best as I can figure, Antares was probably an asian Fender knock off that was sued out of business for trademark/patent violations in the late 1980's early 1990's....maybe earlier?

Live soundcloud clip in sig! Circa 1990

Attached Files:

7. Dave Brown

Dave Brown

I just now got out my old, yet unupgraded, Antares "P bass" out, plugged it into the tuner, and I forgot just how well it plays even with ancient strings!
    I've been jamming with The Smithereens this afternoon and damn...I've GOT to put good electronics in it!
  8. DanTM

DanTM

Found an Antares Bass with a shape I really love. The owner asks for 250 + shipping. In the end I would have to pay 300-350$ including customs. Still has stock PU's etc. and the condition is ... well ... has some dings and dongs here and there. Has a bolt on neck.

It's not worth that much is it ? :/

[​IMG]