1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anthony Jackson/Chaka Khan live

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by klaus486, Jan 4, 2014.

1. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.

Dig Anthony playing a Music Man Stingray here!
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

That link goes to a Michel Camilo performance with Anthony on bass.
  3. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    So it does.....!

Here's the right link!

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Great example of a group of musicians playing where everyone is in the pocket; the whole band -- drummer, bass player, guitarists, Chaka, etc. -- has a common consensus about where the 16th-notes are. And they're not on a grid. :) Really nice feel.

Dig that lick of AJ's at 3:29! The holy spirit must've taken him over!
  5. Darren Lipper

Darren Lipper Supporting Member

I dig! I've been keeping my eye out for AJ videos on Youtube for a while, this is new to me. Love his work on this record and "Naughty".
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I couldn't even see him but I did see the Brecker Brothers...nice!
  7. mrufino1

mrufino1

Wow, I have never seen him in any clip with a stingray and he's never mentioned playing any other bass (professionally) than his fender besides the various stages of 6 string development. Cool clip. He certainly is buried back there.
    There is a whole set of songs from a club on YouTube with this same band, and the songs from this album, and he is not on camera at all, but is listed in the credits and the playing is obviously him.
  8. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but I have to say his tone is much better on the Stingray than on that Michel Camilo video that you accidentally posted,Klaus. And I don't even particularly like Stingrays. Amazing AJ spent all of those decades developing his 6 string tweaking every little aspect and then he plugs it into a crappy rental GK rig, what's up with that? That alternate head for Donna Lee is hard and it looks like he is reading it, amazing but I sure hope the bass sounded better in the house than on the recording.
  9. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Do you suppose AJ is responsible for the 16 note riff at the end of the song? Or my question is did Average White Band write that great riff for that song?
  10. AllanPenford

AllanPenford

is playing a Fodera,.
    his own signature fodera
  11. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Why do people like Foderas so much. They are hugely expensive, you have to wait forever to get one and even though they are extremely well built, they just don't sound that good. There are so many great basses on the market costing less that sound and even look better, yet I see more and more really good players using Foderas. I don't get it.
  12. steubig

steubig Supporting Member

i think it's his "working girl" modified fender, not a stingray. as someone else mentioned, he's never even mentioned a musicman.

re a lot guys using fodera: apparently they like them and think they sound good. weird how they have their own opinions and sounds they want to achieve.
  13. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    You can clearly see it's a Musicman Stingray in sunburst with a white pickguard. His "Career Girl" Jazz bass is on a stand next to him. I've seen another video where he is playing the Stingray too...searching now....while I am looking enjoy Anthony with Dave Weckl backing up Paul Simon. Here he's playing his Ken Smith 6 string.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eXhIxHz0KQ
  14. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Not in 1981.
  15. steubig

steubig Supporting Member

yep. i see it now. gotta admit i thought this was gonna be the roxy vid that i had watched a while back, and i'm pretty sure that is career girl.

guess this proves he should stand up so us gear nerds will know what he's playing ;-)
  16. AllanPenford

AllanPenford

the build quality is amazing
    the tone is even across the Whole fretboard.

its true they don't sound like a "jazz" or music man, but sometimes you don't want that sound
    But they are amazing

And your right Anthony jackson had his First multi stringed bass built by Carl Thompson and then by JOey Fodera at ken Smith
  17. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
  18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I believe AJ was also tuned down a step during these days.
  20. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures: