Anthony Jackson gigging in Chicago March 14th

Discussion in 'Social Events & GTG's [BG]' started by KJung, Feb 23, 2013.

1. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just posting up that I will be hanging at Martyrs in Chicago on March 14th to see the Oz Noy trio with Dave Weckl and Anthony Jackson.

No matter what style of music you like, every bassist should see Anthony at least once in their lifetime IMO!

Should be a fun hang. I think Mike Arnopol is in, and I'll be there for sure. Looks like a fun place, tickets $15 in advance ($17 with the stinkin' fees) and $20 at the door.

FYI!
  2. SmokeyB

SmokeyB

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Martyrs is a great club with a nice sound system. They also have very good food with plenty of quality brews on tap.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Excellent! Thanks for the info. You never know with some of these places. I really look forward to it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattis

jmattis Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: BNA Audio- Greenboy Cabs
    I'm seeing him tonight at Blues Alley in DC (along with Weckl and Mike Stern). I can't wait, I've never seen him before and Blues Alley is tiny. They're there for the next 4 days in case anyone else in the area wants to check it out but can't make tonight.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Awesome!
  8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Banned

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    Jealous! I would love to see him with Oz Noy. I've seen him before and he's amazing. If I could see him with anybody it would be with Michel Camilo trio. I love his playing in that setting, well any trio setting for that matter. Oz is a killer player, as well.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Man, too bad I'm on spring break this week! I Ken and everybody else, I hope you enjoy the show!
  10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Being in New York I have seen Anthony Jackson many times and its a joy every time. He is so in with every one he plays with. The band Michel Camilo, Anthony Jackson, Horacio Hernandez is unbelievable. The leprechaun band was pretty amazing with Chick Corea. I love him with the Michel Camilo Big Band. He murders in that also. Lou Marini plays tenor in that band. Anthony Burns behind him and when the alto players solo's Lou is laughing with joy hearing Anthony Play.

Live this band is amazing.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nite Sprite (if that is the right spelling) was one of those 'LOL' tunes back in the day with Gadd and Anthony. That album has not stood the test of time IMO (pretty dated sounding), but everyone should check that cut out. Crazy good. And yes, the Camilo, El Negro, Jackson recordings are just amazing.

A few days away for the Noy gig! Should be fun. A few of my player friends coming up from St. Louis, and there will probably be a Weckl hang involved (since he is also a St. Louis guy that we all knew quite well back in the day)!

I've only seen Anthony once, in a very small venue (literally about 40 people in a living room) at a faculty concert at University of Michigan, playing with Roland Vazquez, who is on the faculty and an old friend of Anthony's. THAT was cool!
  12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

How was the show, guys? I was thinking hard about it yesterday, but just couldn't make it.:( Too much going on right now.
  13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It was MASSIVELY burning. Anthony's tone was just stupid good... massive down low, but 'P Bass growly' at the same time (he plays his signature Fodera with a single pickup in 'close to P position', and passive.. right into the board).

Weckl was just GROOVING (which is not the first term that comes to mind sometimes with Dave when he is leading his own band). Some of the stuff was so heavy it was like listening to Zep or something... massive backbeat grooves.

Anthony did a couple of solo's also, which is always fun, since I understand that is not particularly his first love.

Sound was exceptionally good (GREAT sounding club, with a Bag End PA, and what sounded like some ELF subs for the low end... awesome). Anthony's tone was like a p Bass with all the lines doubled by a concert grand:bassist:

VERY much deeper than what you hear on Oz's CD's, which usually have Anton Fig and Will Lee, etc. VERY good, obviously, but more 'rocky/poppy' than the brutal complexity and intensity of the Weckl/Anthony rhythm section. Weckl and Anthony don't bring a lot of 'joy' to the music, just serious, brutal concentration and execution. Seeing that live is quite something.

Amazing night! Oz started out with one of his signature 'looping' sort of 'tone poem' sort of things, which was cool. When Anthony and Weckl kicked in (massive backbeat groove with Anthony sitting on the B string), the whole audience kind of exhaled a 'whoa'. It was very cool.

And, on top of everything else, stuck my head in the Chicago Music Exchange as I was walking to the venue, and there is Brian Blade sound checking for a clinic.

Big night for me in Chicago:bassist:
  14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Wow, sounds fantastic, Ken! Thanks for the detailed description. It makes me regret not going, but at the same time I'm enjoying it vicariously.

I knew AJ played that passive Fodera, I've wondered how great that might sound live. Glad to hear the show was so great.

Re: CME--oh yeah, that's the place to be. A little over a year ago, I went in and the place was nearly deserted, but I ran into Rick Nielsen! He was very cool. I gushed about how Cheap Trick was my first concert in '79, he joked with us and I got a picture with him. That's framed.:D
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Lots of old Fender J's and P's at that shop... some REALLY old ones! It was fun!
  16. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Dang. Both our V dubs had issues last week and we had a hectic weekend on top of it, so we passed. Hope there was a good turnout though.
    I met Tom Petty last time I was in Chicago Music Exchange.
  17. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    One day....some day I WILL see AJ in person.

For now I must be satisfied with the Hiromi and Petrucciani DVDs.

That sounds like it was an AWESOME show.
  18. Swakey

Swakey