Anthony Jackson in Hiromi's "Move"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Whousedtoplay, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Hiromi Uehara - "the virtuosic piano sensation from Japan" - really fascinates me, but

I was slightly disappointed by the "too background-ish, "subdued" bass role in her latest album, "Move", recorded with two veteran players –
    bass guitarist Anthony Jackson (Paul Simon, The O’Jays, Steely Dan, Chick Corea) and
    drummer Simon Phillips (Toto, The Who, Judas Priest, David Gilmour, Jack Bruce).

(By the way, I was surprised that such an astounding six-string electric bass player and legendary instrumentalist/jazz musician Anthony Jackson is playing so much with the pick.)

Here is Hiromi’s opening composition, "Move"

"Arguably, Hiromi’s not even the star of the nine-cut collection, the second offering of her “trio project” written with drummer Simon Phillips and bassist Anthony Jackson in mind.
    With Jackson lurking in the background, Move is stolen entirely by Phillips, who channels Buddy Rich,
    the pit bull of jazz drummers.

Hiromi The Trio Project / Desire - Live
    Hiromi The Trio Project featuring Anthony Jackson & Simon Phillips

Am I wrong about the bass playing in "Move"?

I'd like to see more rhythmically challenged basslines on Hiromi's albums.
  2. the_stone

the_stone

You are aware that using a pick is a huge part of his sound and career, right?

Such as in this somewhat well-known little ditty:
  3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I just saw a live vid clip of Hiromi with Simon and Anthony and she was playing her azz off. She was the star of that particular piece. Again, I have not heard the CD, but live it was her getting off!!
  4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Umbria Jazz 2013,
    Hiromi with Anthony Jackson and Steve Smith.

( I still can't to get over Anthony's pick playing)

As I've repeat many times before, Hiromi is multitalented virtuoso piano player. I just think that Anthony Jackson should participate more in Hiromi's "volcanically" rhythmic escapades. I could not find any "conversation" going on between Hiromi and Anthony Jackson.
    Anthony plays a lot of unison rhythmic phrases with Hiromi.
    As soon as those unison phrases are over, he immediately gets into the "laid-back undercurrent mode".
    I would like to see Anthony Jackson, with immensely huge and knowledgeable experience, rhythmically challenging Hiromi.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

Well...it's her gig and I guess that how they play the music is how she and they intend it to sound.
    To my ear michel camilos triangulo is leaning a bit more towards what you seem to be looking for.
    Michel Petrucciani Trio in Tokyo with Steve Gadd is also very good. Amazing Bass and Drum interplay.
    You'll also hear a lot of that kind of thing on 'the suitcase', a live album by Steve Khan with Dennis Chambers and AJ.
  7. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

I understand, it's her music, and currently she is so full of that "gushing volcanic" energy that she always needs to express "me, me, me, me, ...and me", but
    Hiromi completely removes any barriers for the drummer - you can always see her watching, exchanging (and extracting) rhythmic energy from Simon Phillips.
    For some reason, she puts a lot of restraints on the bass.

P.S. I would highly recommend for any aspiring bass players to get that CD, "Move" and learn those clearly articulated different meters: 5/4, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8, etc...

Hiromi is really good about the form, motif/harmonic development.
  8. rms2

rms2 Supporting Member

The Suitcase is an incredible recording and one of my favorites with AJ. You get to hear him stretch out more than on any other recordings that I know of.

Give this a listen;

9. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Beautiful live music.
    Enough space for Anthony.

Why does it say (Contrabass Guitar) in "Personnel:
    Steve Khan (Guitar),
    Anthony Jackson (Contrabass Guitar), and Dennis Chambers (Drums)"?
  10. M.Wrenn

M.Wrenn

AJ plays (and pretty much invented the 6 string bass) because he considers it part of the guitar family, much like there are alto flutes&saxes, tenor flutes&saxes, etc. So he has his instrument listed as "contrabass guitar" to illustrate that point.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

Oh, I've heard it many times.
    It was the first time I saw AJ play live and remember that evening rather fondly! :)
  12. cnltb

cnltb

I 'm not sure about the 'restraint on the bass' bit but appreciate that we all experience music slightly differently.:)
  13. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

To my regret, I cannot post the whole album for everyone to listen to; therefore, I can only give my personal description of the basslines on Hiromi's CD.

The bassline from the composition, “Move” (or almost any other bassline from the CD) consists of playing a lot of the same exact bass parts in unison (monotone) with Hiromi’s left hand, and
    with a few rare exceptions - when Hiromi articulates the notes “right-on-the-beat” and Anthony plays slightly “behind-the-beat” –
    you would not hear any bass variations - no intervals, no interpolated fills, no variations or elaborate passages in cadenzas, no phrase development, no “question-answer” relationship between the contrabass guitar and the piano (not like the improvisational nature of the high-energy drums/piano relationship) , etc…

Just accurately articulated pre-written bass notes with excellent dynamics.

Rationalizing for Anthony, “Somebody needs to keep it simple while other musicians are in the midst of “raging” emotions.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

So you are after more of a free context?
    Check out the 55Bar recordings by Wayne Krantz :).
  15. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

:confused: ??? :confused: ??? :confused: ???

One more time,
    1. To my regret due to copyright infringement, I cannot just upload the album on soundCloud in order to illustrate/explain my opinion about Hiromi's "Move".
    2. I highly recommend for any aspiring bass players to purchase Hiromi's album and try transcribe the basslines played in odd time signatures
    http://www.amazon.com/Move-Hiromi/dp/B008UG0IS0

Next.

How did we get from Hiromi's "Move" to Wayne Krantz's 55bar?

Wayne Krantz live at the Iridium from 7-1-13.
  16. Lobomov

Lobomov

I really disagree .. I think AJs playing is very cool. It is grooves, it's cool ... in places it is non-simple, but all in all he just lays down the foundation that the piece rests on allowing the other two to fly.

Very cool music, I liked it right away .. which is rare for me these days, as I've grown very tired of jazz or whatever you call it the last couple of years.

A+
  17. Lobomov

Lobomov

Btw .. what's with the pick hate ? :D
  18. Herrick

Herrick

Hmm...never knew Jackson played with a pick. I'm listening to the first link on a laptop so I don't hear much of his bass playing. Crazy piano playing there. I mean that in a good way. I'm always impressed by these drummers. How do they maintain the beat & still do all the other intricate things?
  19. the_stone

the_stone

If you think that's some good bass playing, check out AJ with the Michel Camilo Trio.

20. cnltb

cnltb

We got there because you were talking about "restraint" in the bass department. To my ear the bass in the Hiromi context does not display more or less restraint than on many many many recordings I've heard of him.
    To me the Hiromi's Move is not a bad example of 'what he does' :). Other equally valid examples can be found on spotify; 'Voice' another Hiromi album featuring AJ, amongst them. Michel Camilo's Rendezvous can be found there too, which to me is far superior to anything I have heard from Hiromi ( yes, there is a question of taste in play here:)).

Next; Your Krantz clip is with Tim Lefebvre. No?
  21. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

I've really "noticed" Anthony Jackson from Al Di Meola's album, "Elegant Gypsy" - released in 1977.

Al DiMeola - Race With Devil On Spanish Highway

Lee Ritenour - Guitar;
    Anthony Jackson -- Bass;
    Harvey Mason - Drums;
    Alex Acuña - Percussion;
    Patrice Rushen - Piano

Lee Ritenour Captain Fingers (E.Guitar minus-one Etude)
    From DVD title "OVERTIME"

And so on...

Yes, it's him.