Anthony Jackson Transcription

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
  2. the_stone

the_stone

Nice transcription, and I like your analysis of the line.

My only suggestion, and this is coming from a professor who would hammer this stuff into me: make sure your bassline matches your interpretation. In bar 3, you analyze the 3rd beat as a flat 9, yet the note you wrote is a D-sharp rather than an E-flat, which is the true chordal ninth.

In bar 4, you analyze beat 1 as a natural-7th, yet notated a D-flat. While enharmonically correct, you may want to notate that as a C-sharp, since D is the root of the chord, and any alteration of the note D would technically be an alteration of the root of the chord, and not one of the other tones. Also, the natural-7th of a D7 chord is a flat seven; the C-sharp in this harmony would more correctly be termed a raised-7th.

One more suggestion regarding the G-sharp on beat 4 of bar 25: traditionally, when you're chromatically descending between 2 notes like that, the middle note is the preceding pitch flattened (A-Ab-G). If you're ascending, the middle note is raised from the preceding pitch: G-G#-A. The reason is that in traditional theory, flattened pitches are usually resolving downwards, while raised pitches are moving up.

This probably seems like nitpicking, and I totaly agree with the interpretation. Like I said, this comes from studying with professors who were very strict with correctly notating things, and eventually agreeing with their reasoning.

3. JimK

JimK

Great job on the transcriptions.

I used to get hammered on this...Prof would ask about a raised-2nd...so
    I'm thinking/hearing(?)/seeing a minor-3rd...so I keep pounding that home...until he told me to count how fingers are ther between C-to-D#. Uh, two?

That's my pet peeve...sometimes I play in a New Country band...try explaining this to those that insist it's G-G#-A-Bb...
    ;)

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Thanks for the tips guys, I've had zero formal musical training and when you're just learning from books and records these are the kind of things that pass me by!

Will try to take more care in future :)

5. Register to disable this ad