1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anthrax - This one line has me Caught in A Mosh

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassMoley, Dec 13, 2013.

1. BassMoley

BassMoley

I've been trying to play CIAM for what seems like forever now, I've pretty much worked out everything in the song except for one part, the line that goes
    7777777------877767777
    I know someone that reads this might play the song differently but that's how I do it. Now the problem is those two zeros. Since there's a bunch of fast notes on the A string I put my thumb on the E string so I don't hit it, so when the 8700 part comes up I have to quickly move my thumb back onto the pickup and then back onto the string. Moving my thumb back and forth is no problem since I've done it so much doing scales, but for whatever reason I just can't hit those zeros. I can do it perfectly practicing at the exact same speed as the song, but whenever I play it with the song it's a total train wreck. My fingers just seem to skip over those zeros no matter how much I practice it. I can do it half speed full speed standing or sitting, no matter what I can't do it to the song. Even when I have the song blasted into headphones in my ears to hear it better I still have trouble. Any suggestions from anyone that knows this song and might read this?

2. Bhazulle

Bhazulle Supporting Member

Ever try tossing your "learnin" out the window to play it? Meaning, try playing the song without thumb resting at all save for the e muffle? Just drop your thumb into your palm while playing that bit. Can be a pain to overcome the muscle memory but I have found with "metal". Especially older thrax/maiden etc that I do better just palming my thumb.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

One way would be to learn this at a speed faster than the original so if you play the original tempo you have some leeway. This always worked for me back when I was learning some fast stuff like Exhumed or Sodom et al.

Seems to me that when the song kicks in suddenly your brain is too preoccupied with following the band to focus on your playing. Slowing the song down and gradually increasing the temp to original might also help.

4. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Go spend $4 and buy the play along from Jammit!!! Jammit.com

5. Register to disable this ad