Anti-Bass Bands.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LAST_C, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LAST_C

LAST_C

Name what you think are bands that, if they could, would get rid of the bass player. Bands that seem not to care about the bass or the bassist at all.

My first nominee:

Metallica.

After Cliff Burton passed away, Metallica's bass lines became simplistic, and completely lost in the mix. No input from the bassist until recently when creating music. That's one of the reasons Jason Newsted left...
  2. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Such a good point.
    Though I'm not sure about bands that are really big, I know a lot of local bands in many areas see the bass player as "that one guy right there? Turn him down. All the way."

Metallica is definitely one. Cannibal Corpse is definitely another.
    Basically, if you're in a metal band; just because you play a pick or use you fingers, you're never going to be heard. They will drop your volume in the mix.

EDIT: Unless you're Steve Harris.
    I'm sure somebody is going to have a fit and list a ton of bassists who are audible in the mix in metal music. For every one bassists somebody gives me within the metal genre, I can find two or three bands that have the bass almost entirely turned down or completely buried beneath the guitars.
  3. clmayhew

clmayhew

I think music has actually become more bass friendly. Some genres less than others... Detuned guitars have started taking up a lot of sonic space that was traditionally held by bass players.

As far as Metallica goes: Artistic integrity aside, if I'm getting paid Metallica money, I'll give you as little input as you like. :ninja:
  4. LAST_C

LAST_C

I agree that music has become more bass friendly. Many bands that have mediocre guitar players (Green Day, Nirvana, just to mention 2) and the bassist has to contribute way more than usual.

Still, there are bands like Metallica and AC/DC with root riders lost in the mix.

BTW, I like both bands, just turn up the bass amp a little bit...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    I know its not 100% gospel but I seem to think that bands that tend to have more simplistic bass lines that mainly outline groove depends on how many guitar players are present..metallica is one of them, Foo Fighters are another . I've always felt bands with one bass and one guitar are much more bass prominent (LZ, The Who, Queen, Rush, etc.)
  7. heynorm

heynorm

I've been to too many concerts where the bass is lost and everything is overwhelmed by the kick drum blasting away everything else. One major exception was the Clapton-Winwood tour, the best mix I've ever personally heard.
  8. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

If there were five guitarists in Rush, Geddy would still dominate.
  9. clmayhew

clmayhew

Hopefully the five guitarists would drown out his voice. ;)
  10. ghostfather

ghostfather

i wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Most speed metal, black metal, 80's hair metal. I can't hear a lick of bass in most of that music.
  12. kcamsdog1387

kcamsdog1387

THIS ^

I've been to way too many large-capacity venues where the bass had more reverb on it than a snare on a Poison record. Never understood that.
  13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

you should listen to different type of metal ...

Go listen to Blotted Science, Beyond Creation and Spastic Ink just to name a few
  14. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

Almost every 80's hair metal band and pretty much all of the new post hardcore stuff. They could literally just turn up the low end on the guitar amp and fill that gap
  15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    The "heavier" the guitars are, the more drowned out the bass will be.

Guitars aren't meant to be "heavy," that's the job of the bass. At some point in musical history, redundancies have been created, and bassists typically have been on the short end of them.
  16. happygilmour

happygilmour

Rolling Stones.
  17. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

THIS

Sonic space is one matter, but actual density of the music and arrangement is another. Everyone can only do so much before the song becomes "cluttered." I love Rush to death, but, for example, on Snakes and Arrows, there are so many layers of guitar work that it just sounds cluttered and almost haphazard.
  18. leegreenman

leegreenman

I can think of many Stones songs with memorable and quite audible bass parts.
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I honestly couldn't disagree more. While its true that drop tuning has added lower frequencies to the mix, it has (in your own words) taken up sonic space that was traditionally held by bass players. How is that bass friendly? If anything it has caused bass players to be less creative. Listen to songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even the pop songs had great bass lines. Most of the music being made contain bass lines that are too simplistic.
  20. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

the band Im in lol :D
  21. clmayhew

clmayhew

Which is why I stated an exception and gave an example.