1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ANTIGUA JAZZ BASS SHIELDING AFFECTING VALUE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark Westfield, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have an Antigua Jazz Bass 2012 that I would like to shield to reduce the hum a bit that this bass has.

Would doing such a modification affect the value of a FSR Limited production instrument?

To Modify or not to modify?

Granted the bass is new, I am not concerned about the value change in a year.

20 years from now, would I have any regrets?
  2. IPA

IPA

It's never going to be that valuable.

Shielding of a mass-produced instrument only adds to the value, IMO. As long as nothing is replaced/modified (pickups pickguard etc) you should be safe.
  3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Yep its a MIM fender not going to be worth much ever.
  4. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about the value. As a reisuue, it's not going to be that collectible. Resale value won't be affected by shielding. It migh actually make it slightly more desirable.
  5. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

If you shield it with copper tape, that's a reversible mod. If at some point in the future the FSR Antigua Jazz Bass is recognized as the classic it is (I have one too) and originality becomes important, you could always just remove the tape.
  6. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I still see some FSR Antigua's still up for grabs at dealers. They didn't exactly fly off the shelf. They are nothing like those 1980's Elite Basses or anything. I would say you will be fine. Its a reissue and everyone knows that they will never really drop in value nor go up. (especially given how very few people like the Antigua Burst, and yes, It is one of my favorite finishes.)

I say do what ever you want with it :)
  7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

agree with everyone above. I have 2 P's in Antigua and the Jazz as well.

I don't know that FSR's will ever increase in value. They are a great reasonably priced gig worthy instrument. Customize it to make it perfect for you, and play it like you stole it!
  8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This thread intrigues me because I've shielded my 60th Ann P. I'm assuming given what it is, eventually it may hold some value, but it's my main player. I can't have noise happening, so it got the tape.
    Am I wrong for doing this? I haven't made any other mods.

Sorry to piggyback.
  9. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

If its your main gigger than you may hold onto it for a while right? I say be free and gig it and give it a story :p Only mods that ruin the value of an instrument are irreversible mods.

Ohh and personally I don't see anything after 1980's (1990-2005) holding any value for another ~25+ years or so. And even then I doubt it will be "high." Hell I don't think the 90's will ever go up in value and the only instruments that will increase are the Deluxe's and or Special Runs. And those I would place my bet that they don't sell for much higher if higher. Just my 2 cents on value of instruments.
  10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    It's definitely my main player, and I have NO intention of ever selling it. It's already starting to develop some nice wear (thanks to Fender's thin-skin nitro), definitely very personal.
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Barring some catastrophic economic collapse, the re-issue Antiguas will eventually go up in value because they are scarce. The goofy paint job will make them collectibles, and the vintage guitar dealers will make sure that happens. But it will take a long time, prolly decades.

Look at what the early AVRI Fenders are fetching these days. Add in a rare finish and they go up into thousands of dollars. Unbelievable, and they built loads of them. At one point, the big box dealers were blowing them out for $300. All it took was time. Go figure.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The difference between the OP's bass and the AVRI series is that the OP's bass is MIM.

No one should be concerned about the collectibility of a MIM Jazz bass. If the value does increase in the next 20 years, it won't be much. Do whatever you want to it.
  13. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Umm, it's not nitro, it's poiy, like most, if not all of Fender's current line up.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

+1. You are doing something Fender should do at the factory, shielding makes the bass considerably better (and stage worthy in mu opinion).

Even if it was an MIA, in order for it to become more valuable than when it was purchased takes about 30 years and a stroke of luck. There is no way to guarantee it will ever increase in value, the odds they do are quite slim, Leo hasn't been there for almost 50 years.
  15. williamk

williamk

i want pics
  16. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

I have the new Antigua P and it is as quiet as a mouse...never a sound. Are you sure it's the bass itself? or could it be an extraneous source causing the problem?

And as far as "collectibility"....maybe ( and I say MAYBE ) in 25 or 30 years, but even then, probably not.
  17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I'm aware. But I don't think that will matter so much in the future. People already place "vintage value" on many non-USA guitars from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Ibanez and Greco come immediately come to mind.

Not to mention some real crap from yesteryear, like Teisco, etc. People actually collect that stuff.

Seems likely that the trend will continue, country of origin will still matter, but won't be be as big a factor as it has been in the past.
  18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Definitely not poly. Look up the specs. Poly doesn't get burn marks from guitar stands.
  19. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

Man, I love the Made in Mexico bashing.

I also love the fact that a bass that is limited to less than 300 units, will be a just the run of the mill guitar in 30 years.

The Squier VM Jazz I plug into my rig does not make a peep of noise when I play it.

Keep up the Fender MIM bashing, it's a real hoot.

:bassist:
  20. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Well, if you think you have a soon-to-be-collectible bass, put it away and wait. I have a 25 year old MIJ Ibanez in a rare color that I'm hanging on to, but I doubt it will ever be worth much.