1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any 15" Cabs That Sound Amazing w/o Subs ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Session1969, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

My brother mentioned to me that there are 15's on stands ( that he's been told ) that sound very close to having subs such as the E.V. ZXA5's. I've been reading alot about the Yamaha DXR15/DSR15 as well.

Right now we have an eight channel Yamaha powered head and a couple of Yamaha 12 " main cabs and two monitors. Vocals only. The problem is that the kick drum can get buried. We're a six piece funk band that plays in bars of about a hundred or so. Very small towns. My brother will let me use his Presonus mixer and I'm thinking that converting what we have into a monitor system (so that all of our singers have their own monitor) and a couple of the above would be a good way to go. Is this the smart move ? The E.V.'s are about $1,400 each and the Yamaha's are $700/$1000 ea.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Offhand, I'd think that a pair of just about any high-quality 15-inch mains would work nicely for your needs - whether designed to operate effectively without subs or not - given the relatively small rooms in which you play. Especially since you play funk, which typically works very well at moderate volumes, and doesn't require super-high SPL in order to get across.

If you were playing high-octane hard rock in larger rooms, it would likely be a different story. But it's not. :meh:

MM
  3. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

4. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

Could also get a powered sub to enhance what you already have.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with 12" mains and a subwoofer(s). You really need to put the bass and kick out front where it belongs. Given the genre and band size, you are correct: the kick drum will get buried very quickly.

Riis
  6. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I use a peavey XR8600 *(older version) for smaller gigs and a weekly blues jam. Sometimes - I will run without a crossover, I go out from main out on front to a crest cpx1500 and into a single sub. it works well and the tops don't get overwhelmed with lows. a friend used this setup with his smaller 15" subs (2) and I have to be honest......the 18 (Carvin) smoked them. i was a little suprised.

Like Zoober said - I think the 12's work well with the sub - but I do use 15s sometimes.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I do the same thing using a similar (Behringer) powered mixer with Carvin PM-12's for tops. Run the main out to a Crown XLS2000 into a Carvin LS1800 sub.
  8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

I'd add a KW181. I wouldn't revamp the system, just amend and cut some low end duty off your current system which will only help it's clarity.

***For best pricing I also suggest Pro Audio Star for just about everything pa related. All of my dj friends use them and I got my pa from the. Saved over $1K off GC/Amazon and Sweetwater's pricing. NO affiliation whatsoever, just easy as can be and ask for their "best price", don't just "add to cart".
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

K10's on Ksub. Tight and punchy bass. Great dispersion, pretty small. The Ksub doesn't do the Dj kind of earth quaking bass thing but it does a great job on bass and drums. Some folks slag 'em as the spec sheet doesn't read like a dj sub ... Sounds really good in a band context though. K10's have a rather broad dispersion and for me, they fit into a lot of spaces well.
  10. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Guitar and Small goods buyer: Daves Guitar Shop
    Check out the turbosound Milan's the 15's. Are very impressive with no subs
  11. Session1969

Thanks for advice !
  12. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I heard A set of Powered JBLs, not sure which exact model, that I was told were "on Par" with the QSCK12s. I thought that they had a lot of bass and was suprised at how MUCH - until I realized how loud they were to get that. K12s - kind of the same.

If that fits your bill - thats cool, but I really try to strive for tolerable volume AND solid bass from Kick - keys, bass, etc. without having to hit the threshold that these did.

everyones situation is different.
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

instead of spending money on tops to try and get by with no subs, just get a sub so you don't have to "get by".
  14. the yeti

the yeti

but it's not just a question of subs. he's also upgrading the monitors (am i reading that correctly?) going to each singer having their own monitor. that can be a bigger deal than whether the kick is heard- if your singers are having trouble hearing themselves.

to your 1st question i've heard lots of good about the yamaha.

i will say if you're willing to spend $2800 on 2 EVs why not pick up 2 tops and a powered sub? i think the live x can be had for that, maybe k8s and a kw181. (don't laugh at the 8s unless you've played through them).
  15. tbirdsp

Yeah - one band I'm in is looking at two EV ELX112P tops and a single ELX118P sub - 2 grand. If you go with the newer ZLX112P tops it's 400 less.

I think 12 (or even 10) inch tops with an 18" sub will blow away any 15 setup with no sub.
  16. the yeti

the yeti

just priced k10s at pro audio star. $1155 otd and shipped in usa. k8s are $1130. per pair.
  17. tbirdsp

What do you think they want for a KW181?

I sat in with a band that had K12's (maybe 10's) with two Ksubs - the sound that came out of that system was unbelievable, including the kick drum :eek:
  18. the yeti

the yeti

dunno. they have a chat feature they'll give you a "best price" on whatever they have though. told me the k10/8 price was good for a week.
  19. Session1969

Yes, all the backups need a monitor so it should work well by adding a couple powered mains and using our old ones as a 3rd and 4th monitor My brother has a powered jbl sub I can use in conjunction. So I guess I don't have to worry a out the two mains having sub characteristics, after all.
  20. the yeti

the yeti

cool. i'd be interested to know what you get, and how it works out.