1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any '78 Walnut P-Bass Love ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Texsunburst59, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

I just picked up this '78 Fender Walnut P-Bass w/ original case. The things that have been changed out are the tuners to Schallers, the pickups to Mitey Mites, and the pickguard to a black annodized pickguard. I got a Killer deal on this private sale from a very desperate and motivate seller. The new year is starting out awesome.:)

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Real nice!
  3. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

These aren't actual Walnut are they. It looks great.
  4. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

It could be the light, but it looks more like a root beer finish to me. Still looks great!
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I had a '76. Great basses. Mine was heavy as crap and the neck would pull towards Earth like a bag of bricks. But I wish I had it back because it sounded great.
  6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

Thanks guys. I thought this color was Walnut. I've also heard them called Root Beer, Mocha. I guess I need to be corrected on the proper name of the color.:)
  7. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Those basses are one of my favorites. I remember seeing them in 1980 and I loved the maple neck. I also remember seeing the Bullet Boys bassist playing one.
    I would try to find the original pickups and tuners thou. I guess I am just like the original setup myself.
    Great catch!
  8. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

I believe it's called Mocha Brown. The wood is ash. Very nice!
  9. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

don't worry if you end up being allergic to nuts, root beer, or caffeine; i'm sure a lot of people would want this cool bass, congrats
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

For the longest I thought this color was officially called mocha but lately I've been told it's walnut. Still not 100%.
  11. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, I'm not the voice of expertise, but based on all of the color charts I've seen, and I've seen several from the 70s era, Walnut is indeed the only official color that resembles this one. I have an early '76 FL that is clearly brown and wood-grained, but I have seen several that appear much more metallic and opaque - the root beer or mocha that some refer to. My guess is that, like many other things 70s Fender, there was substantial variation in the paint as it ended up being applied. So, one color - walnut - with several variations.
  12. rickwebb

rickwebb

Very Nice!
  13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Beautiful. Does the G ever come off the edge? The alignment is kinda off.
  14. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Cool bass, looks like the neck needs shifting though, that G string looks very close to the edge of the fretboard.
  15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

I'm taking it next week to get it set up by my local guitar tech. I noticed that too. I'll get him to give it the once over that correct all the stuff that's not right. I know it needs a little TLC. It may have been neglected for some time.
  16. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Nice score! I have a walnut/alder bodied fretless P I built from 70's parts. Here's a pic of my "walnut" finish P, the body is a '75. If yours is a walnut P the color had changed quite a bit by '78. [​IMG]
  17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

I found this on google. I just assumed it was correct as far as the years the Walnut color was produced. I looks like Walnut ran from '74-'79 as per this chart.

[​IMG]
  18. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    So its just a color not a wood?

Cool none the less...Just curious because if it was wood there should be a resonant frequency difference (tone).
  19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Yes just a color, Fender did bodies in alder and ash in the walnut color.
  20. bassliner50

bassliner50

Yes she is a beauty! I also have a '78 Precision. Chunky maple neck, all orig. Mine never leaves the house any more. Good luck with that walnut bass!