1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any Advantage to Custom Lo-Rider SS Set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bgavin

bgavin

Q to experienced Lo-Rider SS players:

For a 34" scale SR5, is there any advantage to a custom set of SS sized as .40, .60, .85, .110, .135?
    My thoughts are for higher tension in the low register strings, and a bit less in the highs where it is not needed.

I'm finger style only, no slapping, no picks.

Thoughts?

2. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

IMO that should do you well, I can't speak for the low B though ( I'm a 4 string guy ). I do .45, .65, .85, and .110 and all are quite tight to me, so the .40 and .60 should be what you're looking for.

Edit: I'm sure Jason will pop in here soon enough to really give you some detail.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I play mainly 4's, but I have a 5 and a 6 and that set does sound like it may feel more consistent tension-wise. A potential problem is that I've always felt that the G, and to a lesser extent, the D seem "thin" presence-wise compared to the lower strings (try playing a run all up and down the E string vs. string-crossing in one position). With even smaller gauges, I wonder if this "problem" (you may not have the same issue) will become exacerbated.

For this reason, I favor adjustable-pole pickups. You can dial in just a little bit more oomph on the upper strings to create the illusion that the outputs are more even.

Note: Sorry, not a Lo-Rider user; just opining on the gauges.

4. bgavin

bgavin

My SR5HH is running the factory EBMM Slinky Bass, .45 .65. .80 .100 .130.
    My upper G string always sounds markedly more thin than the lower strings.

The standard Lo-Rider set is .45 .65 .85 .105 .130, which might be just a bit tighter than the EBMM.

5. Register to disable this ad