1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any Advantage to Custom Lo-Rider SS Set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Q to experienced Lo-Rider SS players:

For a 34" scale SR5, is there any advantage to a custom set of SS sized as .40, .60, .85, .110, .135?
    My thoughts are for higher tension in the low register strings, and a bit less in the highs where it is not needed.

I'm finger style only, no slapping, no picks.

Thoughts?
  2. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

IMO that should do you well, I can't speak for the low B though ( I'm a 4 string guy ). I do .45, .65, .85, and .110 and all are quite tight to me, so the .40 and .60 should be what you're looking for.

Edit: I'm sure Jason will pop in here soon enough to really give you some detail.
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I play mainly 4's, but I have a 5 and a 6 and that set does sound like it may feel more consistent tension-wise. A potential problem is that I've always felt that the G, and to a lesser extent, the D seem "thin" presence-wise compared to the lower strings (try playing a run all up and down the E string vs. string-crossing in one position). With even smaller gauges, I wonder if this "problem" (you may not have the same issue) will become exacerbated.

For this reason, I favor adjustable-pole pickups. You can dial in just a little bit more oomph on the upper strings to create the illusion that the outputs are more even.

Note: Sorry, not a Lo-Rider user; just opining on the gauges.
  4. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

My SR5HH is running the factory EBMM Slinky Bass, .45 .65. .80 .100 .130.
    My upper G string always sounds markedly more thin than the lower strings.

The standard Lo-Rider set is .45 .65 .85 .105 .130, which might be just a bit tighter than the EBMM.