1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by musicianary, Nov 29, 2012.

1. musicianary

musicianary

I've been playing for almost 7 years. I'm looking to play in a band at a church, and I found one that I'm really interested in. now, it's been almost 2 years since I played with a band consistently, and I'm a little intimidated because these guys are GOOD. Any advice on how to go about this?

2. rnarrington1

rnarrington1

Look at it this way, if they want you to play, then you most likely have what it takes. Kick your insecurities to the curb and go for it. Also if you get a chance to play with some peeps that are without a doubt WAY beyond your ability, guess what go for that too. You WILL learn alot by playing with people that you feel are better, and eventually there will be somone looking to you like that.

3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Most praise bands play from fake chord sheet music, and the chords are a little different than you may be used to. Get some of their sheet music and start practicing.

I'm sure they already have a keyboardist (piano) so you two need to work out how you will play together. Less is more right at first. http://www.klangwesley.com/songs.php?songID=144

Have fun.

4. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

+1

Same happened to me when I first started. I only knew the A maj (what, there is more to learn?? ha ha). The other guys in the band were older & a lot better and more experienced. I learnt so much from that band!

Just jump in a do it, you will learn heaps, it will make you a better player. I actually prefer to play with really good muso's due to the amount you can learn.

As Nike would say, "Just do it!"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Go ahead and do it. I think some folks think they won't be ready to play in a band until they've done enough bedroom practice or whatever and that is a serious mistake. You can never, ever do enough bedroom practice on your own to be "ready" to play with others. Trying to get gig ready on your own through solo practice is futile. There are some aspects of playing in a band that you can never learn on your own, no matter how many hours of practice you put in. What gets you good enough to play with others is diving in and doing it.

7. musicianary

musicianary

I know most of the "church songs" as I used to tour with a gospel artist. I guess it's just my own insecurities holding me back. People have told me that I'm really good, so I guess I just have to get over myself.

8. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

It's church, they gotta be nice.

Relax and have fun.

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

If you have been there for two years and the church knows about your experience then I am surprised they haven't approached you unless they already have multiple musicians for each spot, as the OP suggest it is a band and not just an organist. Since the team is not actively recruiting, or you ignored earlier calls then a trip to the pastor or the elder/deacon in charge of the music at the church and introduce yourself and find out when rehearsals are. If there are multiple teams try to hook up with a couple for jamming. In my area.

I wouldn't be so sure about there being a keys player, that is regional. In my area drummers and keyboardist are a relatively, compared to guitarist rare, and what few there are can get a bidding war for their services should they not care about other aspects of a local church. The OP would know about his target church.

I know we hate to hear it but many churches would consider the bass as an entry level position and as was noted in another thread yesterday the worship leader would want nothing more the 1/8 note roots from a new bassist. In other styles of church music the bass is the second position filled and they are hoping that you can match the best pros from Nashville or Atlanta as the bassline is iconic in the modeled recording of a song.

10. musicianary

musicianary

I just started going there, so I haven't had the opportunity to introduce myself. With this place being among the larger churches in San Diego, I'd think that their band would be more set in stone, if that makes any sense.

My insecurity in this comes from not knowing what would be expected of me. I know that I'm not up there with all the Nashville and ATL bass players, and I'd hate to disappoint. I'll give it a few more Sundays to scout it out before I make my decision.

11. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Sounds like a situation where it would be an audition and pay position. It would be a local matter whether or not non official members are asked to step forward. I would think that until you become a part of that church family you would be seen as a hired gun in competetion with the rest of the local San Diego pros looking for a steady Sunday gig to supplement their income

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I suggest you check out TB's Praise and Worship Bass Club for more info on your topic.