Any bands been booked for one cruise?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

One thing our band always wanted to do was to play on a cruise ship. But at our age with jobs, wife, kids, etc., it would only work if we could somehow get booked for only one cruise. Maybe just a pipedream?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes and no. It happens, but it's not really anything you can try to schedule. I did a two week on Seabourne Cruise Lines because a bunch of things lined up -
    1. the prior band's contract was up and they were not being renewed
    2. the next cruise was NYC to Quebec City and back, one week out, one week back
    3. the next band wasn't going to meet the boat until they did the following cruise in the Caribbean

So they just needed a NYC based band for 2 weeks so that they didn't have to fly anybody anywhere.

Couple of thoughts - depending on the genre of music you play, you might want to see if there are any sponsored cruises (there are at least a couple of Jazz Cruises every year) for your style of music. OR see if there are groups in your area that are planning a chartered cruise and offer to be the band. The boat being chartered will likely have a band, but if you're bartering your services for the ride (that whoever's chartering the boat will pay for), it's not likely that the boat or the band will care much.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Thanks. We're a wedding/party band. Seems like we'd go over in the "Acapulco Lounge" even if we have to change our name to "5 Card Stud" or some such trite cruise band thing. :)

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's generally what boat gigs are, the longest GB gig you were ever on. The charter group might be your best option, I don't think any cruise line is going to go the expense of flying a group to a port city from Madison, Wisconsin for a short term gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I'm helping a friends band out on the Ship Rocked cruise at the end of this month.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    The now defunct Dick Jurgens Orchestra, based in McFarland, played riverboat cruises on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. I know some of the boats were destroyed in the aftermath of Katrina, but maybe there are some left. It might also be interesting to see what kind of activity there is on the Great Lakes.