Any bass plans for the new year coming?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stratovani, Dec 16, 2012.

1. stratovani

stratovani

We're just a few weeks away from the start of another year, and I've been thinking about what I'd like to do as far as playing and learning about bass goes. I'd like to begin the process of learning how to read music. I've got a book that teaches how to read for bass, concentrating on bass clef, and where the notes are on the fretboard. I'll also be looking to do some interval training, and working on dynamics, including playing with a softer touch. I'll be playing my Hofner Icon more often, but at the same time I'll try not to neglect my P-Bass.

Any plans for yourself?
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Nice thread and nice plans you got there :)

I hope I can get myself Teach Me Bass Guitar from Roy Vogt. My techniques can be better and even with my theory I hope to go forward :p Since I only work in the evening and work about 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, there's not much time for me to play bass and do stuff so I can increase my bass skills :)

If everything goes right, I can buy a new bass guitar around summer time in 2013, which wil be a Ibanez SR Premium 1206e ;)
  3. klejst

klejst

This may sound strange and sound like black clouds compared to what everyone else's bass plans are going to be for 2013, however I think I may officially retire from playing in a band, writing music and perhaps from playing bass all together. I have actually not picked up my bass and played it for about a good two months, I have other things in my life now that I am enjoying and want to experience more. The band thing was a good run for a solid last three years and I had fun with it and like I said it was a ride, but I can say I did that and just want to move on.

I know many will say not to sell my stuff and I am not going to sell my trusty bass and maybe my practice combo, however the other gear I may sell off because the money will be nicer to have in my pocket for it instead of having the stuff sit and collect dust. Nothing is forcing me to "move on," I just don't have much of a driving interest in it anymore. Of course the fire may return later down the road, but like I said right now I am happy with other things outside of music in life. A buzzkill I know but that's just me.
  4. WCHIII

WCHIII

I just recently switched over to bass full time from the drums. Although I'll still take a fill in call on the drums, I plan to dive in head first on the bass. I had been playing drums full time and sitting in on bass and the change feels fresh and new right now. I have all sorts or new gear ideas and questions and just having a lot of fun with it right now. I had retired in 2010 to take care of my mom who had been sick and that was a full time thing that didnt allow me any time to myself more less. She passed away this October and I was really down in the dumps when I got the call to see if Id be interested in this full time bass gig. My first gig was Dec1 and its been great. That was the call that got me out of my blah slump and now things are really looking up . I hope everyone has a wonderful 2013.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Finish building the bass that I am working on.

lowsound
  7. stratovani

stratovani

A buzzkill? Not at all! These are all legitimate aspirations, and I applaud you for having the courage to move on. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! Just a couple of things - don't lose your calluses, play your bass once in a while, and don't be a stranger around here! ;)
  8. fmoore200

fmoore200

My condolences for losing your mother. I know how hard that is
  9. Auguste

Auguste

improving my reading skills and getting a greater knowledge of music theory
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I've got two Squiers, a VM J and VM P, and a Fender Jazz. This year I'm hoping to save up to get a Fender P (likely a MIM) to round out my collection. Also looking to maybe get a small practice amp.
  11. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Now that we've got an excellent guitarist, this next year we will be recording more, developing new material and GIGGING again finally! Equipment-wise I want to pick up an ESP B1006 bass for my main one and use my B206SM for the backup/home bass.

Should be a VERY good year! :hyper:
  12. DaZombieWoof

DaZombieWoof

I plan to start using my EUB a lot and get into bowing the thing. Might jump on a real upright, though the EUB I own covers most all I want to do.
  13. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Gonna start taking legitimate bass lessons, as well as restart guitar lessons. Really serious about serious improvement.

Also want to do a custom Jazz with a single Sidewinder and a homemade Stingray pre. It's gonna be awesome :D

--Silvie
  14. Marial

Marial Pooped Supporting Member

1. Get the pick ups in the Jazz swapped out
    2. Lay my tracks for the band's new record
    3. Pick up a Polytope
    4. Pick up an Avalon U5
    5. Spend a lot of time in the shed working on my own playing (I have a couple of Ed Friedlund's books that I want to go through) and recording my own musical creations
  15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Same plan as last year and the year before. Shed! :cool: :bassist: More specifically, I also want to focus on sight reading and harmony studies.
  16. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Gotta work up charts for a couple of tunes, do the toothpick fix to a straplock hole on the Fender P, clean up the project studio, woodshed some parts, desolder/resolder a mic cable that has the XLR 1-2-3 pin connections mixed up, and enjoy the downtime since the band is on hiatus until Jan 10th.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I started a new tribute/cover band with an old friend about a year and a half ago. Our drummer suffered a back injury so we put plans on hold for 8 months. We finally found a singer and keyboard player and have our first gigs starting in February. The plan is to gig and have as much fun as possible.

My original band will be working on a CD. I also plan on doing more music for television and some foreign films.
  18. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

My guitar tech is almost finished replacing a truss rod and fingerboard on a 6-string Carvin that I purchased on Ebay 2 months ago. When he gets done, I anticipate doing some serious woodshedding trying to figure that thing out. A few years ago, I successfully took up 5-string after being a 4-stringer for 25 years, so hopefully I will be able to make this transition too.
  19. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'm gonna start playing upright bass in an orchestral setting and taking lessons for jazz and orchestra.

In the band that I joined a little over a month ago, we're planning to start gigging in the new year.

I also plan to pick up piano more seriously than just right hand chords. Soloing would be good and learning how to read grand staff more fluently would definitely be nice.
  20. darren1970

darren1970

Take possession of my 2nd Thunderbird ( a Nikki Sixx model ) and play the death out of it :)

Try and get the Motley Crue tribute band sorted with a few good friends.

Build a custom bass ( super Jazz type )
  21. tmdazed

tmdazed

band is on hiatus until jan 5 due ti Christmas obligations, main drummer will also be down for 8 weeks due to thumb surgery. I am taking the time down to
    a) woodshed the hell out of the songs we already play
    b)finish a couple songs I have been writing, completely different style from what the band plays but I have had ideas for these ones for quite a while but the band has taken priority
    c) upstart side project with a guitar player, drummer, and singer i have worked with for years
    d) sit in for our rhythm players band a few times because he fired his regular bass player and he likes playing with me better anyway

Going to keep myself busy and work like hell to sharpen the skills i have and maybe learn a new 1 or 2