Any bass related New Year's resolutions for 2014?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blueinred, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Blueinred

Blueinred Supporting Member

Well, it's that time of year so I thought I'd trigger the "resolution" thing as it relates to all things bass.

Here's a few of mine:

I resolve to never be lured into another thread about the wonderful, oh so versatile, only bass worth having Pbass. Enough! Every one turns into the same Pbass versus the world discussion that brings out posters who I have never seen on here in my 5 years hangin' out here and never see them on any other threads where truly useful info is put forth. I know there will be a new one every week but I won't be sucked in. Some tunes are perfectly faciltated by that classic Pbass tone and I love it. LOVE IT! But these cats that claim it is the only bass for all tunes or genres are just deaf, earless, underexposed to the wide world of bass tones, in denial, or all of the above. I'm done with em'.

I resolve to keep adding chops, technique, musical knowledge, and an open mind to my arsenal of bass offerings.

I resolve to keep exploring artists new and old for the pure joy of their talent and dedication to the craft. And the same goes for manufacturers of bass gear.

OK. Now, how about you? Any resolutions? Revolutions?
  2. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

I suppose mine would be just to play more, improve on what I can do now and enjoy myself without spending too much money on things.
  3. Interius

Interius

This, and my goal for this year is to finish refinishing my fretless jazz.
  4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

I have three goals involving basses: #3; to buy a back up precision bass for my main precision bass (which is a copy), #2; budget my money so i can buy parts for my own repairs and builds & #1; Finish my first bass build and start building my dad's version of the gibson grabber (essentially the same as the original; only it's an EB-O pickup near the bridge, hipshot A bridge, and the jack output is on the side of the body and not on the guard.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I resolve to never take my talent as a bassist so seriously that it clouds all of the other wonderful things in my life. I've noticed that some people's world revolve around playing bass. You can see it in their comments, wording, and arguments, and in the zeal with which they post, and even inter-react with others they meet, face to face.

If I've learned anything over the years it's that there is a hierarchy of importance to all the things we do. Music is not the pinnacle of importance, that so many, especially young people, believe it to be. Believe it or not, there are things much more important. Family, for instance. Far more important than anything else. I wish I would have learned that lesson much sooner than I did.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I resolve to be more cynical and sarcastic while playing bass in 2014.
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I resolve to be more like Gene Simmons by getting a better costume in 2014 and not worrying about how crappy my bass playing remains.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I resolve to sell most of my stuff and continue lessons.
  10. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

My resolution is simple....to be the bassist I can be (and the best husband, father, grandfather, friend and teacher too!)
  11. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I learned years ago not to make New Year's Resolutions...I'm just setting myself up for failure.

However, in 2014 I would really like to play more music of the sort that I can get 100% excited about, rather than the Whatever-Gig-Falls-Into-My-Lap sort that I've been playing ambivalently for the past two or three years.
  12. pfox14

pfox14

I resolve to find a good band to play with. Tired of just practicing in my room all by myself.
  13. BCB50

BCB50

Pay some stuff off.
    Get one more bass and a bigger amp.
    Practice more and learn something new.
    Don't take life so seriously.
  14. Geri O

Geri O

And you appear to be off to a roaring start…:oops:))

Geri O
  15. Blueinred

This may be what most of us should do,.............but won't.
  16. Blueinred

Beware, that just might make you rich and famous.

:bassist:
  17. ZenG

ZenG

After I get my Zoom B3 I resolve to play "Star Spangled Banner" like the way Hendrix did it at Woodstock on my
    Ibanez bass..........Jaco got us in on the ground floor...now to take it to the next level......

If I can just find two stereo cabs with 1000 watt heads on' em and 6 25-inch woofers per cabinet....
  18. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Practice more, and get better on electric bass. Continue my journey on upright bass that I started just a couple of weeks ago. Haven't really set goals or anything beyond that.
  19. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

To stop buying them.
  20. Nivek91

Nivek91 Supporting Member

Mine would have to be buy more gear, because I've been very behaved this past year. To play more in general, and play out more.
  21. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

To be able to play a shuffle at the drop of a hat!