1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any budget replacement Musicman 5-string pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I'm putting together a project bass. I'm looking to do a single passive Musicman humbucker in the bridge. I see Mighty Mite does a 4-string model for under $50, but I don't think they make a 5-string model. Anything out there?
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  3. avvie

avvie Supporting Member

Can't remember the brand but I got a couple from Canada really cheap...found on Ebay. I was skeptical but they were pretty good! I converted a four stringed Yamaha BB300 into a five stringed Music Man Sterling copy. Fun and effective.
  4. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Here's one that I bought and installed in an OLP this month:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181001463261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I was scrolling through and I noticed their 4-string was endorsed by Jimmy Lloyd Ray, the blues player who's an e-chum of mine so I checked with him and he advised me to go ahead. Although you'd be getting it over from England, I highly recommend it for the silly cheap money. It's massively better than the stock OLP and I prefer it to the Wilkinson (good but bassier and not so 'ray sounding) that I have in a four-string. The Warman I installed all in one go with a Warman dpdt on-on-on (you definitely want this as well) and an EMG BTC (not all that necessary but lying around in my parts bag).

The Warman pup had a bit of excess wax around the edge that I scraped off with a fingernail and pre-wired in series with tinning not up to my standards but don't let minor cosmetics put you off. In any case, I stripped it back to wire it to the dpdt for series/single/parallel (their site has wiring diags and you can PM me if unsure).

In parallel, it's punchy and bright in a good way while the series has more oomph and the low B does that trouser-flapping thing. Single coil (which, on my Telebucker mod, sounds much like parallel) is also worthwhile - not far off a Jazz bridge tone but its placement is obviously different.

Josi Warman responds to all emails (at least three comms just over the £3 switch) and, apart from a brand new CTS vol snapping, everything worked first time. Can't fault the sound at all, even though the old strings won't be changed until I've replaced the emergency vol with another CTS. I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with it, but I've seen Josi offer return for refund on a guitar forum when a poster was considering one.
  5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's also a cheap import pickup. The WSC pickup looks nicer.
  6. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Yes, Warman gets stuff in, not a maker; I assumed China. No looker on arrival, either (if it hadn't been for JLR, I'd have worried about getting a dog for a pup) but I'm glad I installed it. Once in, it looks much like another. The rear of the WSC in that listing looks tidier, but I've not heard one. The Warman sounded good on JLR's track and I'm impressed with it on the OLP. At this spend level, either should satisfy.