1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any Chance of A Bass Class on Coursera in the Near Future?

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Dickieman, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dickieman

Dickieman

I took the Introduction to Guitar class offered by Berklee through the Coursera MOOC and taught by Thaddeus Hogarth and was truly hoping to see additional instruments, including (obviously, given this site!) bass being offered. I found the guitar class to be a ton of fun and a great way to keep me practicing, but the bass is so much more fun than guitar :D
  2. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

I am currently working with Berklee Online, on a bass MOOC of immense proportions. That's all I can say for now. Brought to u by a short bass player, and it is not me.
  3. Dickieman

Dickieman

Ah, crap...anticipation.
  4. GastonD

GastonD

Huh, I gotta admit the words "immense proportions" made me itching!
    I completed the improv course conducted by Gary Burton, and to be completely honest it did not meet my expectations in terms of what material was emphasized and how it was presented. But then again, it was free and I cannot imagine the amount of obligations that the likes of mr. Burton have to deal with on a daily basis :)
  5. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

I hope we keep in mind that there were probably some of the 40,000 who took this course who would disagree. Its hard enough to cater to the specific needs and expectations of a brick am mortar classroom.
    Moocs are designed to dispense a large amount of info to a massive amount of people. for Free…
    On the other hand I heard about people all over the world meeting each other at Gary's concerts and clinics and following up with each other on improv and other musical concepts. That is something that could only come from something with "immense proportions". I will keep you posted as it develops..
  6. GastonD

GastonD

Thanks for the discussion.
    I have to agree that probably the best part of the Improv class on Coursera was the discussion among the peers, that is definitely an awesome avenue of learning.
    Like I said, that particular course just did not meet my...maybe hopes would have been a better word than expectation. And that stands for the pre-class beginning. After the first week it was clear that the attendance varied widely in terms of previous experience and musical foundations on which to build.
    I guess an ideal solution would be some kind of 201 class, lol. But let's face it - it ain't happening in that format and for free :)
  7. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Nice, count me in.
  8. Dickieman

Dickieman

Don't be surprised if the advanced classes start to show up for free. Coursera recently announced a masters level course, offered through Leiden, on Sharia Law in the West, a pretty heavy topic to be sure.

OTOH, Coursera and other MOOCs like EdX are looking for ways to monetize their business model and still keep education cheap, so by the time the class you really want/need materializes, there may be a small fee. Right now, the "Verified Certificate" and specialization programs are dirt-cheap, and most MOOCs want to keep them free or at least as cheap as possible to attract a world audience.

What really amazes me about the Berklee classes on Coursera is the community itself. People retake the same class just to help or meet other musicians from around the world.