Any Charlie Tumahai (Be Bop Deluxe) fans out there?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Feb 8, 2013.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I've been on a huge Be Bop Deluxe kick lately. Bill Nelson's guitar genius is so wonderful & obvious, but does anybody have any love for Charlie Tumahai? He's pretty phenomenal. He's on all the records except Axe Victim. Great lines that really complement some already fantastic songs & some terrific backing vocals as well. A standout cut for me is "Autosexual", some pretty amazing jazzy chord work in that one.

Anybody else dig his stuff?
  2. FatherG

FatherG

Yep. I was fortunate enough to see them a few times in concert in my wayward yute.
  3. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I like him a lot. I have a BBD live album that is really good and I saw them open up for Golden Earring in the 70s. Greart show !
  4. funkarama

funkarama

Great bass player who certainly added to the Be Bop Deluxe sound. Saw him live with Be Bop Deluxe o few times in the 1970s. One occasion in a big sports hall playing to about 50 people!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I checked them out after Bill Nelson was featured in Classic Rock: Prog a while back. Picked up the Sunburst Finish album. Good stuff! Sometimes kind of wonky, but a real refreshing change of pace.
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Oh, yeah! In fact, I'm glad that somebody finally started a thread about Charlie.

I caught a BBD show at Ferris College in Big Rapids, Michigan, in 1978. It was their tour for the Drastic Plastic album. Loved the material, loved the show! :cool:

Not only did Charlie play really interesting, quirky, eccentric bass parts that were ultra-tight, but he also combined musicianship with a sort of simultaneous "choreography", which consisted of a series of little dance moves that he performed back and forth across the front of the stage while playing the bass, i.e. jumps, straddles, heel clicks, strides, poses, etc. etc. - all timed to synchronize perfectly with the rhythm of the music.

Most impressive. And most entertaining as well.

Methinks that Charlie really, really enjoyed performing. And it showed. :cool:

MM
  8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

And he died far too young.

Glad to see there are some fellow bassists that appreciate his talent!
  9. FatherG

FatherG

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

11. diptixon

diptixon

Great band, great bassist... might be the FIRST guy I ever saw with a Spector NS bass, around '78 I think...