Any christian bands that RAWK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

So I have an audition with a christian band on Saturday. The keyboardist/bandleader was texting me today, setting up a time etc. and he gave me this song that the band wants to play. So I youtube the song.....and I HATE it. That's when it hit me: I find christian bands boring.

I've commited to the audition, but if they play music like this I just won't join. So does anyone know any up-tempo, hard rocking christian bands? I'd like to go in and say "hey, you guys know any songs by (such and such)" and see what happens.
  2. neebs

neebs

As in christian members? Or christian lyrics?

I try really hard to enjoy christian themed music.. it's very hard. Sometimes painful haha, but I do enjoy playing it. Only because my worship director given me the permission to be a cannon with no safety.

I think the only actual christian themed music I enjoy listening to though.. is Demon Hunter.
    But I also like Emery.. but they're just 'christian' members.

Demon Hunter is pretty raw. Oh yeah.. Sleeping Giant is pretty cool. But they're more metal type of music. I'm not even sure they're down with that.

Are you allowed to incorporate your own style into their music... or they want you to do exactly as they say? That would get quite dull.
  3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

HEAD
    Ex guitarist for Korn. He puts out some heavy stuff

POD is Christian but not to heavy. Still rock though
  4. paganjack

paganjack

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I am not really into that style of music but Norm Stockton is a great bass player. He has a lot of his own music and he plays with Lincoln Brewster
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

BROTHER: "And Saint Atila raised the bass guitar up on high, saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy bass guitar that with it thou mayest play thy bass notes to perfection, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and bassists did feast upon the Alembics, and Rickenbackers, and Laklands, and Rob Allens, and Fenders, and Gibsons, and Spectors, and Ritters, and --"

MAYNARD: Skip a bit, Brother.

BROTHER: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou tune thy Holy bass. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy bass notes towards thou audience, who being Holy in my sight, shall love it.'"

MAYNARD: Amen.
  8. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

9. neebs

neebs

10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Demon Hunter is exactly what I was thinking of, thanks.

When I responded to their ad I was thinking along the lines of Hillsong, which probably would have been ok. But the song they gave me (Glorious by Martha Munizzi) is a straight-up R&B/soul tune, and I'm just not down with that (no offensive to R&B fans intended)

Guess I'll just go and see what these guys have in mind.
  11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Disciple.

Day of Fire.
  12. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

I toured with this band earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYGT3RMQqE

Not sure that he "rawks" but his music is pretty fun to play.

Back when I played with this band:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkTc4xRpGlQ&feature=related

This band was awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8pGBDH19kw

Looks like they turned into a pop band too.

Well anyway, you weren't asking for this genre at all, but after spending a hefty handful of years in the Christian music circuit, I learned a lot about how it works, just how many bands ARE terrible (and how many aren't. A few.)

And I'll say that the heavy music side of it was never my jam. But there were a few...really really good ones.

The biggest difference between Christian and secular music is Christian bands automatically get a bunch of support. So some pretty terrible bands make it pretty far. Secular music isn't like that. I don't really need to explain that any further :)
  13. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Mortification
    Demon Hunter
    Ultimatum
  14. tycobb73

tycobb73

I'm a big fan of Fireflight.
  15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

If they sent you Martha Munizzi then they are probably in the same CCM/Gospel crossover genre as her, Champion, Israel & New Breed, Ricardo Sanchez and others. The sound of the mutiethnic mega church. Just a generation ago Motown may have been the secular crossover music that appealed to different communities the R&B/Nasville pop crossover is today's choice to reach the most diverse audience as Hillsongs, while popular would leave out many on one side as much as Bluegrass Gospel, or Christian Rock. Meanwhile Neosoul Urban Gospel or Quartet, a bluesy gospel as opposed to R&B would leave out the other audience
  16. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Thrice, check out Thrice. Also MuteMath.

lowsound
  17. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Thousand Foot Krutch!
  18. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

older Zao (spicy), stretch armstrong (mild), me without you (...not really, but good)
  19. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

RED is so freaking awesome. I didn't know they were necessarily "Christian" til afterwards but yeah they're amazing.
    Their 4th album is due early next year.
  20. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality Supporting Member

21. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Unfortunately this. I was in I think JH when Tooth & Nail records came out and looooooottta crappy bands were on that label that otherwise would've never gotten traction from big labels.