Any Clutch fans here ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pnut166, Jan 22, 2012.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Back in the 90s, I was a fan of Clutch, with their first couple of albums. But my music tastes changed, and I moved away from most metal stuff. For Christmas, my wife got me "From Beale St. To Oblivion". MAN ! Talk about a blues-rock explosion ! They`ve really changed since their early days, but that quirky humor in the lyrics is still there (" You can always tell the terrorist/ by his cologne and the watch on his wrist" ) A fantastic album all - around ! Thinking about moving backwards through their catalog now - any must-haves ? Did they just make this transition in styles with this album, or have they been in the more blues-rock vein for awhile ?

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Definitely get their latest "Strange Cousins from the West", "Robot Hive/Exodus", and "Blast Tyrant" if you like their more bluesy sounding stuff. Also check out some Bakerton Group. It's more jazzy influenced instrumental clutch (same members as well). Oh, and I've seen the twice in the past four years, and they always put on a damn good show as well.

3. Yorick

Yorick

Saw them supporting the latest lineup of Thin Lizzy, and Clutch blew them off TBH. and yes, I have the obligatory beard :)

4. Lethgar

Lethgar

I second that Strange Cousins recommendation: heavy bass tone to be found indeed. Fresh riffs from start to finish. Did anybody like Jam Room?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

yes, indeed, great band. Blast Tyrant is my current favourite, though i think it's no longer available (madness!).

in the interests of full disclosure, i also have a beard.

7. tk421

tk421

while the second album will always be my favorite ... they have slowly progressed their sound with each album. Dan Maines has always been solid, and always quite bluesy.

and to be honest, facial hair really does not improve one's musical tastes. it just makes your face itch.

8. ack

ack Supporting Member

Yeah, big Clutch fan here. I love all their stuff...old-new.
    My personal favorite album is Pitchfork/Lost Needles, but everything else is right there.
    These guys are killer in concert.

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Hehe...I could talk your hind legs off all day about the mighty Clutch. Been a fan for nearly 20 years and love all their stuff, even though s/t sits just at the top of the 'favourites' pile.

Do a search...there's plenty of Clutch goodness hidden away in TB!

Ps Blast Tyrant just been released via Weathermaker on double vinyl. And it's on iTunes and the CD is on Amazon etc. Not sure what is meant by 'not available any more' :)

10. ack

ack Supporting Member

BTW, just scored these:
    [​IMG]

11. ack

ack Supporting Member

Love Jam Room so much, that we named our practice space after it, and we have a "wall of Clutch":
    [​IMG]

12. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I was turned on to them around 96 and I LOVE Transnational Speedway League and the Space/ST album. I haven't listened to any of their other albums partially because I love those two so much. Still have yet to see them live, I always seem to find out AFTER they've come.

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Now that, good sir, is cool.

image-3497166808.png

14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Clutch rocks. Love all their stuff...been listening to a lot of Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive Exodus lately.

15. Eater_of_Birds

Eater_of_Birds UK Extreme User Supporting Member

They played Glasgow the other day in a tiny pub for absolutely free XD fairly random.

missed it (im not a massive Clutch fan, at least for now) but was probably wild.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

You're kidding? That sounds amazing. I saw them support - or rather, destroy - Thin Lizzy, but I doubt they played any pubs down here :)

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Is there a better lyricist out there? If so, I'm yet to hear one...

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

I'm so pissed I can't find these in Colorado. As a beer fan a sour mash ale sounds so delish, but as a Clutch fan I really want one lol.

19. ack

ack Supporting Member

try this link (tick off only "Clutch"):
    New Belgium Brewing - Age Verification

I put in "Colorado" and found a few. When I searched locally, it found a few, but I called first - no one had any except 1 pizza place...go figure

I haven't cracked 'em open - there were 4 available locally in NC, I bought only 2 and gave 1 to my son. I figured another C! fan might want 'em. On my son's 21st B'day (4 years from now), we'll celebrate with these.

20. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

I've been a fan for a long time and I like most of the albums, old and new. Great live as well, I had a blast when I saw them touring on the last album. Neil is definitely one of my favorite lyricists as well.

21. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Yeah me being down in Pueblo means we get some of the New Belgium specials, but only months after they are released. I'm really hoping they get Clutch before it is discontinued.