Any decent humbuckers for an epiphone Eb-0?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MusicalZilch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

Hello!

I recently picked up and Epiphone Eb-0 for cheap. I like this bass overall, even though it is short scale compared to the Eb-3 model. I like to play a lot of classics (Most often jam to some Led Zeppelin), and was wondering if there are any decent humbuckers that wouldn't be too crazy expensive to replace the stock. I realize that buying another bass is most likely the better option, but even just to have the Eb-0 as a backup or something to mess around with.

Any reccomendations?

2. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

What's the problem? If it ain't putting out a bunch of deep, muddy bass, it ain't an EB series ;)

3. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

I've seen people install a Dimarzio Model 1, and also Darkstars. I'm not sure if you need to do any routing or modifying to allow for either of those pickups though.

4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I think artec makes that style of
    Pickup. You can find them on eBay cheap. Not sure how much better it would be but I
    Don't mind the artec pickups I've used.

Could you cram a musicman style humbucker in there?

8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Di Marzio 1 all the way. No hum, deep lows and good note definition . Hipshot Supertone bridge is another vast improvement . These 2 changes make an EBO a great playing and sounding bass.

9. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I will have to look at the DiMarzio pickup. As for the bass, nothing is wrong. I just feel like something better can be installed in it.

10. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I wanted a 5-string! It's cool to see that.

11. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Epiphone should do with the EB-0 what they did with the Thunderbird and use Gibson pickups. The EB-0 is a fun bass, but the stock pickups are just too muffled sounding. I also recommend the Model 1 for a replacement.

12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Some kind of Bisonic (Hagstrom, Curtis Novak, or Dark Star) would be very cool and only require a bit of "massaging" of the cavity to make it fit, but they might be a bit pricey in your case since you're looking for something cheap. I'd say go with a used Dimarzio Model One. They're fantastic pickups and surface for around $50-60 used every now and then. The Supertone bridge is a good suggestion too. Helps to be able to adjust the string height individually

13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Another vote for the Model 1.

I'd stay away from the cheap aftermarket mudbuckers.
    I bought two back in the day advertized as Gotoh's but those are most likely Artec's or their predecessors, very low impedance.

Unless You use 'em as mod platforms as I intended to, I'd stay away. Not an upgrade in any form or way.

Regards
    Sam

14. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I agree with you ih8law. Kinda the reason I went low end with the Eb-0 instead of the Eb-3, the stock pickups are just not that much greater to justify the extra money.

So far I'm liking what I see and hear with the model one. And yes, by no means is this an overhaul! Just looking for a little more out of it.

Thanks!