Any decent humbuckers for an epiphone Eb-0?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MusicalZilch, Jan 2, 2014.

1. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

Hello!

I recently picked up and Epiphone Eb-0 for cheap. I like this bass overall, even though it is short scale compared to the Eb-3 model. I like to play a lot of classics (Most often jam to some Led Zeppelin), and was wondering if there are any decent humbuckers that wouldn't be too crazy expensive to replace the stock. I realize that buying another bass is most likely the better option, but even just to have the Eb-0 as a backup or something to mess around with.

Any reccomendations?
  2. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan Supporting Member

What's the problem? If it ain't putting out a bunch of deep, muddy bass, it ain't an EB series ;)
  3. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

I've seen people install a Dimarzio Model 1, and also Darkstars. I'm not sure if you need to do any routing or modifying to allow for either of those pickups though.
  4. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    +1 on cewillm
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I think artec makes that style of
    Pickup. You can find them on eBay cheap. Not sure how much better it would be but I
    Don't mind the artec pickups I've used.

Could you cram a musicman style humbucker in there?
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Di Marzio 1 all the way. No hum, deep lows and good note definition . Hipshot Supertone bridge is another vast improvement . These 2 changes make an EBO a great playing and sounding bass.
  9. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I will have to look at the DiMarzio pickup. As for the bass, nothing is wrong. I just feel like something better can be installed in it.
  10. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I wanted a 5-string! It's cool to see that.
  11. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

Epiphone should do with the EB-0 what they did with the Thunderbird and use Gibson pickups. The EB-0 is a fun bass, but the stock pickups are just too muffled sounding. I also recommend the Model 1 for a replacement.
  12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Some kind of Bisonic (Hagstrom, Curtis Novak, or Dark Star) would be very cool and only require a bit of "massaging" of the cavity to make it fit, but they might be a bit pricey in your case since you're looking for something cheap. I'd say go with a used Dimarzio Model One. They're fantastic pickups and surface for around $50-60 used every now and then. The Supertone bridge is a good suggestion too. Helps to be able to adjust the string height individually
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Another vote for the Model 1.

I'd stay away from the cheap aftermarket mudbuckers.
    I bought two back in the day advertized as Gotoh's but those are most likely Artec's or their predecessors, very low impedance.

Unless You use 'em as mod platforms as I intended to, I'd stay away. Not an upgrade in any form or way.

Regards
    Sam
  14. MusicalZilch

MusicalZilch

I agree with you ih8law. Kinda the reason I went low end with the Eb-0 instead of the Eb-3, the stock pickups are just not that much greater to justify the extra money.

So far I'm liking what I see and hear with the model one. And yes, by no means is this an overhaul! Just looking for a little more out of it.

Thanks!