1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any difference between 2009 and 2012/13 P Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ScottTunes, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Any difference 'tween a 2009 and a 2012 or 2013 model?

I went to my local shop today and plunked down some cash for what I thought was a "new" Am Std P-bass... Well, it's a 2009, and has some shop wear on it - including a bit of fret wear... Being fussy as I am, that constitutes "used" in my opinion... I can get an "untouched" 2012 on the net for less...

Is it too harsh to return it for a "NEW" Precision Bass??

2. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

3. exidor

exidor

+1 take it back

4. milkman2k10

milkman2k10 Supporting Member

Agreed

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. meatwad

meatwad

Take it back. That's not even N.O.S., but more of a floor model.

7. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Exactly.

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    2010 and up were made better too....besides the fact I wouldnt pay new prices on a bass thats been played by everyone in the store for the last 4 years.

9. iamjustin

iamjustin

how do you buy a four year old bass and not notice that it was a four year old bass?

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

To answer the OP, yes, among the documented differences are a significant pickup upgrade.

Yes, I think the deal is a bit of a burn.

11. The Nameless

The Nameless

+1 to above. Why wasn't the research done before buyin. All the supposed "used" signs there before the purchase. Ya still took it home. It musta have felt/played/sounded pretty good. Bet it still does. You could take it back, order a new one, and take a chance on the new havin other issues. Or remember the sayin, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." If ya play any at all, a bass will wear. I'd keep it. An play the heck out of it.

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I understand what you're saying, but still have to disagree. The store has a responsibility to accurately portray their products. There are people new to this and they shouldn't plundered due to their inexperience. What does it take to write 2009 on a card and thread it through the strings?

13. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Ok... Part of this is my fault, of course! I've been dealing with the same guy at the local shop for well over a decade... And he KNOWS how fussy I am!!! I'm not afraid to give him what for... And he can take it, and will order another for me...

Then, as nameless said, there's the "bird in the hand" thang...

I was hoping for a 2011 at the least... But trusted "my guy" (who is store manager, BTW) to "take care of me." So, yeah, I do feel a bit burned.

There's definitely some wear on the frets... Lots of fingerprints... A little extra bow in the neck - though in all fairness, I'll be changing the strings and likely would have to give it a proper set-up anyway...

AND, I shoulda looked at the serial number! I didn't think it was necessary, and just plugged it in to make sure all was as it should be. It is... And there's that nagging 4 year old bit...

Then, there's the "bird in the hand" thang...

I seem to recall the 2011 and later had a better finish and one or two other differences that would make it worth it... Just not "feeling it" with this one... Light weight, decent playing (other than too much relief)... Not real happy with the 3 color burst... I've seen better...

It bugs me that he would do this after so many years of doing business with him...

Then, again, there's the "bird in the hand" thang...

GAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

14. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Take it back ASAP yo. Sounds like you are not fully satisfied. If you keep it,it will eat at you!

15. Bubba Ghanoosh

Bubba Ghanoosh

It would bug me, as well.
    You probably didn't get all the goodies (strap, truss rod tool, manual, etc.) that are supposed to come with it, either.
    I wouldn't worry about the "bird in the hand" thing.
    Take that one back and order a brand new, untouched one in the color/fretboard combo you want. 2012's have the Custom Shop '60s pickup in them. You'll know it's a 2012 by the serial number (US12XXXXXX). And be sure you get all the extra accessories and hard-shell case that comes with it.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Take it back, or if you really like the bass demand they give it to you for used price. $8-900, $1000 tops.

If you are a repeat customer he isn't going to care, he is going to want to retain your business.

17. The Nameless

The Nameless

Heh... The bird in hand thing can drive ya crazy, an I certainly meant no disrespect to original poster, or the store/salesman. Another saying, "let the BUYER be wary", I know... Be WARE, but wary more appropriate, please forgive my paraphrasin, means we responsible as purchasers ta know what we want, and ta do research into what we taking home. Yes, maybe store responsible, but I don't think it was intentional. Stores there for bottom line. Not necessarily to be of help. An in the end, the q was if the 2010+ basses that much different. In my experience? Tone an feel wise? Not tons of differences. The Deluxe electronics changed in 2010. The standards did not change much. They always used Custom shop pickups, cts pots, etc. The deluxes electronics were "upgraded" wit active passive, but the circuit unchanged. The pickups were changed for aesthetics, poles in pairs instead of evenly spaced, like on the SCN version 2, but they still same over/under stacked humbuckers. So, in end? The changes in a P bass are very subtle. If you worried bout the age, or misrepresentation, talk wit your guy. I'm sure a resolution can be had. And finally, a last sayin really spells it out... Customer is always right. If ya like the bass? I'd play it.

18. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Ultimately, I feel cheated because it is a 4 yr old, with at least a few hours of shop abuse. It would have been a great price for a 2012... But not, in my, mind for a 2009...

So, back it goes! I'll try to be civil... I chose to buy it locally to support my "friend" the manager (I also know, and have gigged with the shop's owner)... I still believe in that... Just have to get the details straightened out.

Thanks for the straight talk!!

19. The Nameless

The Nameless

Another suggestion. Take yer 09 P, an play it next to a '12 version. An see. I keep sayin it our responsibility to research. I'd go play a newer one an that one together. See what you think. Every one of us here prolly gonna have an opinion. We are all "right" for each of us as individuals. I'm not gonna say my new '10 Deluxe Jazz better than Jaco's Bass of Doom just cuz it built in a later year. Nor would I buy a 2013 P over Jameson's Funk Machine cuz the finish intact. But, that is me. I take my performance rig wit me to stores when buyin basses. I also take tools an set up the basses I audition. I'm that meticulous. So, try yers and a new one. Set them up identically. Make an informed decision. Wit your needs an goals in mind. An again, I bet yer guy will take care of ya.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Never forget you are in an adversarial relationship with the entire chain reaching from the manufacturer's execs down to the shop mook reaching out for that money in your hand.

This is business. You have no friends in business, and you should never trust anyone to look out for your interests except yourself.

"Geshift iz geshift, Bubele!" ;)

21. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

2012 American Standard P's have Custom shop pickups. The 2008-2011 do not - they have the "American Series" pickups. Whether you prefer the sound is a matter of taste. The Custom Shop pickups have raised pole pieces.

Supposedly, the satin neck finish is a bit lighter and more playable on the 2012 as opposed to 2008-2011. I think that's true from what I've seen.

I just got a 2012 American Standard P new from Musician's Friend for $999 delivered. It was during the 15% off sale and then they gave me another 5% off for messing-up another order. Usually, MF or Sam Ash will give you at least 15% off if you just call and ask. So, perhaps you didn't get as great of a bargain as you thought.