Any experience with Thomastick roundwound Jazz bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Elihu, May 20, 2009.

1. Elihu

Elihu

I have been using Thomastick Jazz flats on my Stingray for about 3 years and like the low tension but want to see if I can get something with a more defined sound. The flats tend to be a bit muddy in church using a small combo and PA support, even when boosting the treble on the Stingray. At my friday gig playing country and gospel it's not as muddy through the GK 2-12 combo. So, to sum it up I'm looking for a bit more note clarity without getting too bright. And I'm wondering how long these expensive strings last on the average before replacement. Thanks for your opinion :D

2. Elihu

Elihu

Hmm, maybe I better open it up a bit. Looking for some low tension round wounds that last. Suggestions?.:help::help:

3. r379

r379

Try TI Superalloys. Pretty smooth for roundwounds and long-lasting. They will give you more definition. Give'em a while to break in because they seem kinda bright at first. I guess I'd call them medium tension.

4. Elihu

Elihu

Thanks for the reply r379. I went to the Musicians Friend website and looked the TI's over. The EB344 strings seemed to be favored over the Superalloys on the few reviews posted. I'm also curious about the JR344 set. Someone posted about this set on their Jazz Bass and really liked them. :cool::cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mrdak

Mrdak Supporting Member

You have to play with an extremely light touch with the Jazz rounds, and if you like the lighter gauge of that set, they are very good sounding strings. Especially after they break in.

Go see this guys videos on you tube............ http://www.youtube.com/user/GBagley browse through all 50 or so vids, because he uses them on several basses.
    He's M5Yates here on TB, and knows how to play a set of TI JR's, You'll see.

7. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

www.bgra.net

That has a couple of reviews on them there.

FG

8. Lokire

Lokire

Hey, that's me! The Jazz Rounds are my favorite strings. Love the way they feel and sound. I usually go 4 or 5 months before I change to a new set. Practically all of my videos with my Ken Lawrence 5-string are using the Jazz Rounds :bassist:

9. Elihu

Elihu

Thanks for steering me to some good info Mrdak and Fretlessguy. Excellent videos Lokire. I'm sure I'm not in the same skill level as y'all, so thanks for the advice. I'm a guitar player who also works at a hospital so the light tension is good for me. It's hard to start a IV catheter on someone when you have a thick callus on your fingertip.

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I use the TI Jazz Rounds on my Lakland 44-02 Fretless 4 and just think they are best on this bass. Clean, clear, and very warm for such a small gauge string. You have to get used to the light string tension though .. and switching between a 105 roundwound (like a Fender 7150 which I favor on my fretted basses) to the lighter TI's is a jump.

But, all-in-all I would personally recommend them whole heartedly.

good luck

11. Adam Harzuf

Adam Harzuf

I would appreciate if you helped me choose between the Thomastik strings in this thread.

Thank you

12. warnergt

warnergt

I just picked up some Jazz Rounds for my Fender Jazz bass.
    I really like the tone but that floppiness is going to take some
    getting used to. The are very low tension.