1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz Bass owners on here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Addison, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer, Zon Guitars
    Howdy!

I'm reaaaaally close to closing a deal on a NOS '64 Custom Shop Jazz Bass, and I was just wondering if anyone here has one or has had one and can tell me anything inparticular about them?

Good and bad... whatever comes to mind.

Anything from fit and finish and overall build quality to woods, tone, etc....

Sorry for being so vague... I guess I'm literally interested in anything that anyone has to say about them.

I know these basses are semi-common as far as "Custom Shop" branded instruments go, so I was just wondering if they still "feel" like a Custom Shop bass, or if they suffer from some typical mass production problems.

I've been playing music professionally for a long time now and I've owned lots of hi-end basses over the years... but this particular bass has ALWAYS been on my list of basses-to-own.

Thanks!
  2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

I had one for a while. Probably the best Jazz I've ever played (including the "fancy" Jazz copies). If I wanted another Jazz, I'd hope to find another one this good. I don't think you'll regret it.

Jack
  3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

I have a Custom Shop '64 Relic, which is obviously not quite the same thing but close. It is really a great instrument. I have 5 or 6 Jazz Basses (including a real '64) or Jazz Bass clones (i.e. Lakland Darryl Jones bass), and the '64 Relic is easily the best sounding one. I've played a number of the '64 Relics, and a couple of the NOS models - they are all very consistent. It seems like workmanship at the Custom Shop is on a very high level, so I don't think you have to worry about getting a dog.
  4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I've seen better deals going for used CS Jazzes on Ebay. But I guess if you're doing a totally custom job, you'd want it to be new, eh?
  5. morehorn

morehorn

i have a NOS 64 from about 2007. a fantastic bass for me. broken-in body wood, sound is punchy and full --- never too bright, the DI signal is full of character. the playability is really amazing. i was set-up crazy when i bought it, my 73 jazz's neck moves on me so i wanted to get something that was a bit more stable to gig with....i have put flats, nylons, and all sorts of rounds on it and i could get them all to sit well. i eventually went with heavy rounds to compliment the dubbier sound of my 73 and couldn't be happier.
  6. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

+1
    I got mine used and saved a bundle - not on eBay but from a local private seller. At any rate, they are out there on the used market.
  7. flewis

flewis Supporting Member

Don't have one yet, but my next major bass purchase will be a CS 64 NOS, 3-Tone Sunburst......a used one! :)
  8. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer, Zon Guitars
    Yes, the one I found is indeed used... albeit BARELY used.

It's seafoam green... and it also happens to be LEFT-HANDED.

:hyper:

Yeah... it's a rare bird.

But, the price I got on her is very fair, and we have agreed on a price, etc... so it's pretty much a done deal. In the process of finalizing everything now.

I am really REALLY excited about this bass... and thanks so much for the replies.

Keep 'em coming!!!

:bassist:
  9. rayzak

rayzak

Awesome, bro!! Seafoam too...... drool!
    Make sure to let us know what you think once you have a chance to get acquainted(sp?).

A few months ago, my next bass was going to be either a '64 Jazz or a Lakland US Joe Osborn. Ended up with the JO because the right deal came along, but i'm sure I would have been thrilled with the Fender as well. Love 'em.
  10. hands5

hands5

I have to agree, because I also have a Relic and now that it's been dialed in i,e. setup and pickup height,the bass just sounds absolutely incredible
    It is an exspensive piece but it's worth the beans you shell out for one of these,
  11. hands5

hands5

They're out there,just be patient :)
  12. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Mine's a Relic in Olympic White, had it about ten years, GREAT instrument!
  13. weary hobo

weary hobo

My crystal ball tells me that there's one in your future. . . . oh wait, that's not my crystal ball talking, it's the FedEx shipment tracker. :cool:

And yes, I hear that the Relics are nice, too! :D
  14. sps500

sps500

I tried a couple of NOS basses along with a few relic'd models and a 63 reissue and they were all amazing. Got to hand it to the Fender CS team they do make a fine instrument!
  15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I love my 64 Jazz relic. I've been playing it exclusively lately.
  16. flewis

flewis Supporting Member

That's a pretty amazing crystal ball you have there! Poof, there it is! :) Loving the CS64 NOS I got got from 'weary hobo'. It's been on my Gas List for nearly two years.
  17. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

I played one a couple weeks back, and probably one of the nicest basses I've ever played. Super tight, strong, punchy tone, couldn't get a bad sound out of it. I really want one, definitely a NOS in Oly white. If only they had a matched head stock.

On a side note, hopefully this isn't too much of a high jack, but I'm really interested to hear peoples experience with the 64 CS compared to the 62 AV Jazz. I've played the CS, but not the AV, and just want to hear peoples opinions on them. I have a 62 P, which is great, and I figure the 62 is pretty similar to the CS, so is the 64 really worth the additional money?. If I could get one with a 62 control plate and matched headstock, I'd be in heaven
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

NOT ENOUGH PICS!!!!!

Even us non-Jazz Bass owners love the look so please post 'em.
  19. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Not even close! The CS stuff is worth every cent extra, I have a 59P and it is just sublime.. my AV62 Jazz is nice but not a patch on my teachers 64CS Jazz.. my 52AV Tele is awesome.. but again, not even close to my mates CS Nocaster.

yes.. well worth the extra..
  20. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member