Any Finn's on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Apr 12, 2014.

1. bmc

bmc

In a moment of desperation, I made my first batch of Mämmi.

Are there laws about Canadians making Mämmi? :p

Usually, I have friends travelling up to Helsinki for Easter and I get my supply. This year didn't work out so well. I admit that I share my love of this dish with probably 10% of the Finnish population.

It goes in the oven in ten minutes.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I'm a Finn.

IME only if You count just the people over 70 as "the Finnish population" :D.

More like a 0.1%er You are.

What a horrible, horrible Finnish dish if You ask me.
    Tapolan musta makkara (blood sausage) is another of those dishes as well.

It's not an easy dish to make AFAIK though, kudos for trying.

Regards
    Sam

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It isn't so bad.
    I like it better than lutefisk.

I know lutefisk is Norwegian/Swedish but a lot of Finn's around here make it too.

4. bmc

bmc

Oh Sam, I am laughing so hard. I was introduced to Mammi thirteen years ago by some very close friends that are Finns. They thought they would pull a joke on me by serving me some. I LOVE it. My youngest daughter loves it as well. The wife of the Finnish couple also loves it.

I'm laughing as I post. I have yet to meet anyone else on the planet that likes the stuff. It's been in the oven now for over an hour. It cooks for three hours. It looks like some a cow would have left in field. I'm confident you are of the opinion that the cows production would taste considerably better. :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Laughter is always a good thing, glad to be of service :).

It sure does look like that, and IME the taste is equally bad.
    Different, but bad.
    Pig manure is worse though.

In case You're wondering why on earth do I know what a cow/pig manure tastes like, it's because Finnish farmers are not too picky about where the crap lands, and the majority do not clean their tires before driving on public roads.
    THAT, combined with a Brit Hippie-Chopper with no front wheel mud-guard introduces a whole new taste palette for the unsuspecting motorcyclist.

Regards
    Sam

7. Milk

Milk

I'd never heard of it but looked it up. It doesn't sound that bad. Maybe a little bland id suspect? Possibly a bit hard cause they serve it with milk or cream... Anyway it's a dessert so its unlikely i would hate it. Takes too long to prepare bother making though for sure.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So there's a guy waiting to get into the outhouse; a guy inside, and a guy who is just leaving. What are their nationalities?

The guy waiting to get in is Russian; the guy leaving is Finnish, and the guy inside is European.

9. bmc

bmc

It didn't turn out too bad. I didn't have the rye flour as it's hard to find here, so I used regular flour. I serve to our Finnish friends on Tuesday night.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It sounds like something I might like.

11. bmc

bmc

I really like the stuff. It has a nice malt flavour. It's very think and solid and close to black in colour. I think the look and consistency puts people off. Sprinkle some white sugar on it and serve with cream.